What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it legal

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Is it legal to ship seed from the US to Canada? Or do need a permit? I am wanting to ship some Sarrecenia seed.

Not without a phytosanitary certificate.

Darn

To the best of my knowledge seed are okay to send so long as they are not of an endangered species (i.e. S. oreophila)

As Pyro mentioned as long as it is not CITES 1 or Federally Endangered. It would then depend on Canadian import regulations.

Tony

I think it is legal. i dont know if the endangered seeds are allowed, but i think seeds are allowed. seeds don't contain infections and deseases like plants do. also, it will be hard to recognize seeds in mail, so it wouldn't be reasonable to add some law to prevent seeds. Zongyi
wink.gif

how do you get a phytosanitary certificate?

Nope.. Canadian import laws say you can't do it.

Zongyi, you would be surprised what can be transported on seeds, you'd also be surprised what has been regulated. Impractical has nothing to do with it, it's what is neccessary that gets done.

I was mistaken earlier though, you need more than a phytosanitary certificate here is the link

Import of plants and related material

Maehem, i don't see anywhere that states a certificate is needed for CP seeds. it talks about mass quantities of crop seed (cereals). i dont think you need a phyto for seeds. Zongyi

Zongyi, You said-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">seeds don't contain infections and deseases like plants do.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is untrue. Seed can also contain pathogens such as viruses and fungal diseases. This is the reason various countries require phytosanitary certificates. These certificates are designed to state (from evidence provided to the plant health inspector of the exporting country) that the seed species being imported is free from any of these pathogens or other contamination.

You also said-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">also, it will be hard to recognize seeds in mail, so it wouldn't be reasonable to add some law to prevent seeds. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is hardly a reason to allow the importation of seed into a country without exception. There are many plant species which do have the potential of becoming a weed species or carry pathogens. Generally there are good reasons why various plant species are prohibited entry into these countries.
If there are laws against this importation and you get caught you run the risk of being prosecuted.

Down here in Australia our laws are strict. Seed are actually easier to detect than you think- especially larger seed like Sarracenia. All mail here is x-rayed and seeds can been seen on these x-rays. We also have sniffer dogs which search for seeds as one of their targets. (I know this because I'm one of the guys who operates the x-rays) I'm not saying these postal requirements exist in Canada but do you know what the mail screening processes are there?

Just something to think about.

Regards,

Sean

Zyongi, That site says ANY plant related material. Im sure CP seeds fall in there somewhere. Its very simple to find out for sure, all you have to do is submit an application for a permit to import. They will either tell you you dont need one or issue/ deny your request. Either way its better to be safe than sorry in a case like this.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it will be hard to recognize seeds in mail[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I wouldnt count to heavily on that. Im sure customs has all kinds of x-ray machines that are designated specificly to detect plant material (read: dope) I doubt it would be difficult to detect an envelope full of seeds.

Wesley, I urge you to find out exactly what you need to protect yourself and your friend before you attempt to mail seeds into Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) There are some phone #s on that website that Maehem posted, you might do well to give them a call and get the info you need.

Good luck
Steve

Is the paper work for seeds the same as if you were mailing a plant?

rolleyes.gif

well, i just called the canadian food insepeciton agency. the guy said as long as its not commercial seeds (crops) and under 1kg, its ok. Zongyi
smile.gif

As there are limited sources for CPs in Canada and most of my most of my collection has been grown from seed bought from either the USA or England.  

I Thought I would add my two cents, it never occurred to me that seed might be illegal to import. That being said I have never had one seed shipment stopped. Most of them have been declared with what is exactly in them and I have even been at times charged customs. Absolutely non of the many vendors that I have ordered seed from every mentioned requiring any paper on seeds, now most of these same people don't send plants as you require all sorts of paper work and it will cost a arm and a leg.

On my last seed order from the USA , CEG nursery advised me that the US government was considering tightening up seed shipments and they may require paper work in the future. They told me that they have been contacted  and told to expect changes but until such time its business as usual.

I to have received seed from CEG with no paperwork required.

Uh oh. Guess i'm a criminal. I give up, come take me away...

Gee, and i was just trying to get rid of some capensis seeds...

Amazing, a few bad seeds can wreck it for everyone!
rolleyes.gif
If you know what I mean?

Just to clarify, so that everyone is in agreement...

It is not illegal to mail seeds from US to Canada (or vice versa) and seeds do not require documentation unless:
1. it is over 1kg
2. classified as Cites I

If this is the case, then all I would need for SASE is to include an envelope with US postage...correct?

The ICPS Seed Bank both accepts and distributes seed to members throughout the world without paperwork.

I know that some countries, like Australia and New Zealand, do have very strict rules regarding seed imports, but I'm still totally confused about the precise legal situation with the US.

Vic (UK)

Is there a website that tells you about other countries restrictions on sending seeds to other countries?

Travis
confused.gif

Back