What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live sphagnum question

Hello all,
I know that Live Sphagnum does not appreciate fertilizer, but I was wondering if Superthrive effects it positively/negatively/at all? Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Lithopsman

From what I have heard, Superthrive might cause an outbreak of algae.

Hmm it doesn't seem to be bothered by Osmocote in the highland Nepenthes pots. Live Sphagnum doesn't seem to be bothered until it settles itself in the pot then fertilization will determine it's success or failure to grow. Superthrive seems to spark slime mold in my expierience as Michael mentioned.

I occasionally add a very small amount of orchid fertilizer to the water for my sphagnum and it causes no problems. I don't know if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt it either.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From what I have heard, Superthrive might cause an outbreak of algae.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've only been using Superthrive for about a week, I did notice today some greening on the soil of one of my potted VFT. If it is algae, will this hurt the plant at all?

I did kinda over do it on the Superthrive.
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Sep. 30 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Superthrive seems to spark slime mold in my expierience as Michael mentioned.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yep , i second that , lots of slime mold and it looks like if a baby monkey barfed in my pot .

By slime molds, do you mean those things that creep around and then turn into spores? I think those are cool! Maybe I'll take some sphagnum and put it in a jar with some superthrive.
biggrin.gif

Back