What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!time to wake up your plants!

RamPuppy

If you put your plants down to bed around Thanks Giving day, and your not still covered with snow...

It's time to start waking up your plants on valentines day!!!

Would all of you uber experienced growers in all sections of the country please add your wisdom here?

I live in south texas, and due to my idiocy last year, didn't have anything old enough to put down this winter. (yes, I have been enjoying my new flytraps all winter long.)

My sars are outside, they have been dormant.  on valentines day I will take off the towel I put over the pot to protect them, trim off the old dead growth, and fill the tray up with water.  

And just like that, they are out of dormancy.  Living in balmy south texas is a breeze.

Anyone else?

EDIT:
Sorry Ram but you put, "If you put your plants down to bed around valentines day." I would have let it slide but I fixed it so people would know the time frame for dormacy.

I am repotting and dividing my Sarracenia, VFT and everything else on the porch today that needs it! Fun fun fun witht he VFT clump and even more fun dividing my clump of S. purpurea subsp. venosa.
smile.gif

I have three D. anglica and a D. rotundifolia from Alaska, and they're waking up on their own... I'm not ready for plants that are awake yet... Should I just keep them in the cold, so that they get used to MY winter?

i started feb. 2 repoting some seedings. the mature plants i left outside and let them do it on there own

the vft's,dews and ping. i left outside the hole time also.

Hi there!

If you are in the UK:

You can start growing venus flytraps and sundews indoors, on a windowsill, from about March 1st.
Anything in the greenhouse (sarracenia, vfts, d. binata etc) should start growing and flowering properly from about April 1st onwards. I would check for dried out plants now if they haven't been in water since early November. Keep them just moist and start keeping them in water permanently from April 1st.

It doesnt seem like the growing season can be starting up again! This winter seemed to go fast, but I am starting to catch the winter blues, & I am ready for srping!!

Cole

I'm going to have to wait a few more weeks.  I still have Sarracenia-sicles
sad.gif

mad.gif

I'm with BCK,
We just had MORE snow....February can be quite brutal in NY...
sad.gif

Personally I LOVE SNOW!!! So y'all can send me all the snow you want...until March. Then I will be ready to celebrate the return of spring and outdoor plants! I think I might start waking up my sleeping plants in the basement under lights and see if I can't get a litte jump on early growth.

Suzanne

It`s Sunday the 16th and as I am typing this here in Connecticut it`s 2 degrees,with a foot of snow expected tomorrow
mad.gif
. Think I`ll wait a little longer.

WAKE UP TIME!!!! Yay! I'm soooo happy!

Thanks for telling us!

Well in the great white north by the great (cold) lakes, my sarrs all rolled over and told me to go away when I tried to wake them up (alot like my kids do every morning for school LOL).

We did have a heat wave of 45 F last Friday and Saturday, but short lived as we're back down to 20 this AM. Oh well, spring is just around the corner (I hope)

its been too long a winter for me,my cobra lilys made it through the winter pretty well,and im waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and try out my hands at outdoor terrarium!!!.i have not been in the forums here in quite some time as some of you that have known me have not seen me on in a long stretch of time
wink.gif
but i am back and waiting to bring my flytraps out of dormancy.hope to be chatting with you all very soon.keep on providing good info to the noobies
smile.gif

CPSINC

Jack O

Ack

Started to garden, but then came the cold again. They say it will warm up just in time for my days off to end.

I have waken mine up but I'm being very cautious. I'm waiting for the last frost, which is past Easter, until I put my plants outside. But they are in a terrarium growing. I will wait a few weeks until I let them under the west Texas sun.

Back