What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A service to you my friends

RamPuppy

if you have ever used Kazaa, Morpheous, Weatherbug, or just plain ended up on the wrong site, you may have been slammed with a little program called xupiter.

xupiter is spyware at it's worst, it transmits your web habbits back to advertisers, tracks your net usage, and occasiionally pops up advertisements... one easy way to tell if you have it is to type in the wrong URL, where you would normally get a ERROR 404 message, Xupiter forwards you to one of their pages, with advertisements and so on.

xupiters creators are some of the scum of the internet IMHO, as they install the program without your permission, and offer no easy way of ridding yourself of it.

well, I will tell you how!
smile.gif

go do a search on your computer, for xupiter*.exe. you will come up with more than one exe most likely, the tricky little but nuggets that made the program made it so if you delete one exe, another searches for and installs it again if you miss the backup. (not sure about this, but pretty sure.)

delete all the EXE's. these load the xupiter.dll's into memory, and as long as they are in memory, you can't to diddly to them. (You can try using regsvr32 /u commands, it does unregister them, but you still can't delete. re-naming does not work either.)

so, after all the EXE's are deleted, reboot your computer, do a search on xupiter*.*

now, when all this xupiter crap comes up, find out what directory it is in, and delete the entire directory, not just the stuff with xupiter in the name.

ok.. now a word of warning. xupiter is required for some freeware programs to run... I believe Kazaa and Morpheous are two of them, not sure about others. with the xupiter.dll and others gone, these programs will cease to function.

you can do a websearch on Kazaa lite, and find a version that doesn't have this spyware on it, download, and continue life as normal.

Also, if you go to add/remove programs you may find a program called GATOR CORP. GATOR is also spyware... kill it like it deserves. No one has the right to track your web usage but you.

Also, I can tell you I have had problems with my PC crashing lately... finding and uninstalling xupiter seemed to end this issue.

for other spyware pieces, and I have helped a few of you remove this stuff before, I have found a pretty cool utility.. it doesn't get everything, but it gets most.

do a google search on bulletproof softwares spyware remover. install and launch, let it scan your hard drive. I found no fewer than 35 pieces on a computer I built 5 months ago... stop and think about all the CPU and memory resources you lose to these little suckers... think of them as spider mites and end their pitiful existence.

If you hate ad popups... I highly reccomend Stopzilla which you can get at www.tucows.com it is shareware, so you eventually have to pay for it... but it is an awesome little guy that keeps you from clicking close on all those annoying micro-camera adds that claim to be for home security as they pan over half naked women...

ok...

who thinks we should have a RamPuppy's Tech corner article a every month or so? lol...

I believe the program "pest patrol" takes care of it too.
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Yeah, a Ram Puppy tech article every month would be great!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Just a quick additional note for XP users. Before you can delete Xupiter files you have to end any processes these files may be running.

To do this type "ctrl+alt+del". When the "Windows Task Manager" window opens, click the "processes" tab. Scroll down the list till you find "XupiterStartup2003.exe" and "XTCfgloader.exe" Click each of these files and then click the "end process" button.

After that you should be able to delete these files.

Thanks Maehem, I forgot to put that in...

Oh, just thought you'd want to know; Never, EVER install internet explorer 6! It's loaded with spyware, and also be careful about java, when I installed the latest version it automaticly installed internet explorer 6! Took me like 4 hours to clear it all...
wow.gif

A free program to identify and remove all 'spy' programs is called 'ad aware'

Several sites offer it for free.
tounge.gif

Rampuppy,

there is also a free version to get reed of problems on the computer called spybot. you can find it in cnet.com run a search and download it to your c:drive. it will fix, back-up and get reed of all the problems on a computer. it took a while to get reed of gator but, finally it did it. also deleted all kinds of problem that where on my computer. i was having the same problem with my computer freezing up and having errors on it until i ran the program.

i downloaded and installed the spyware remover program...

after running the program, it found...
43 spyware programs and 137 traces of spyware programs...

thanks rampuppy! i definately like to see a monthly computer tech session!

thanks again!
technoracer

Back