What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP\'S in the wild

Well during my last road trip I finally tracked down Cp'S in the wild.
I believe the were a cross between ruba and flava of the American Pitcher Plants.
THey were growing off of a highway and most were inside the fence line away from the road. Some however, were growing on the highway side and are being mowed down by the highway crew on a routine basis.
Is there anything that can be done? Seems such a waste. Better for me to take them home than for the plants to meet their end like that?
Can you do that without violating protection laws?Comments?

Gee that's a good question. I am sure that somebody here has the "right" answer but personally what I'd do is just go on over there while they are working and ask them if they would mind you getting those plants out of thier way.It wouldn't hurt to ask and the worst they can do is say "no," which I seriously doubt any constrction worker would do.
I am sure that this isn't the pollitically correct answer but as far as I am concerned it is the morally correct answer.
I am with you it doesn't seem right to be able to kill them but not take them home!

You will need to get a permit to remove plants, though, I don't think rubra or flava are endangered... so I am not sure...

but certainly don't take any just because the road crew says it's ok!

Do some research and find out what the laws are in your state. And even then, it would be better to re-locate the plants further away from the road so they won't get mowed, than to put them in a private collection...

but man... your right.. it is a waste.. how could anyone mow a pitcher plant!?

Actually I have talked to a Conservation officer down in Florida and told him about my collection and I asked him If I could take an S.Leucophylla that was by the road which was going to be widened in a couple of weeks and he said OK. And I e-mailed him some pictures long ago and he aid "I am glad you saved that plant". Of course this was about 1-2 years ago. But if there is a Conservationist or the plants are being literrally destroyed I would take them home OR Rip them up and move them to the other side of the fence line.

I know in Texas....it is against the law to collect wildflowers on the side of the road. (or really any plant )

I believe ( here ) they have to be so many feet away from the highway. So people can enjoy them when they pass by
(at 95 MPH)

I do not know if these rules here apply to all highways or just the ones in Texas.

Secondly, it would depend on the status of the plant. ( protected, endangered ).

If it isn't protected/endangered and the collection a wildflower law isn't where you are...then I don't think it would be a problem.

If it is protected/endangered....then I would notify someone and let them come move it!

Yeah! Endangered/Special Concern/Protected/. If I cam across an Endangered plant that was in danger or being destroyed or "mowed" I would first get a cell phone quickly,mark the plant with a stick,stake,etc. Then have an offical come and help you move it or whatever.

I think I'll surf on the great state of Miss. to see if I can find anything.
If I do I'll be sure to let the board know

Rob

Ok, promised to get back on the subject.
Seems S. ruba ssp. is protected under the federal ESA, so that pretty much takes care of that as I'm sure ruba was around as I saw it's hybrids.
The flava issue: seems there is no federal ESA with S. flava, but I was not able to get info online as to it's status in Miss.
Probably will alert the Miss. branch of the ESA and advise them and maybe suggest relocating the plants inside the fence line on my next trip.

sounds nice and responsible!

Back