What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grab bag sale

Hi all,

I just read the post about the sarra grab bag sale and it looks too good to pass up. But I've never gotten plants bare root so what soil mix will work best with them? Any other tips would be appreciated.

cpwitch

50/50 sphag peat and pearlite would be ok, as would pure lfs...

lfs can get a little pricy though, compared to sphag peat and pearlite...

i'll use a mix of all 3.

peace,
technoracer

In plain english, that would be 1 cup rinsed pure sphagnum peat for every 1 cup rinsed perlight. I microwave my peat too in order to cut down unwanted guests poping up in the soil.

After that it's just fill the pot, dig a little hole, pop in the plant, lightly tap down and poof! Potted plant.

I have used both long fiber sphagnum moss and a 50/50 peat/perlite mixture. I still perfer using long fiber sphagnum (lfs) to the peat/perlite mix. In many cases the lfs will begin to grow even though its suppose to be sterile.

I have been growing live moss to cover the surface of the peat/perlite mixes. There is just something about live moss in a cp pot.

Yah, I'm with Nick on this one. Having live sphagnum as a top dressing is really nice, and it helps with maintaining proper PH levels and fighting off pathogens too.
smile.gif
I have a whole seed starter greenhouse thingy that I have filled with sphagnum.

Back