What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos from the necps show

schloaty

Staff member
I have a lot more.  Anyone who is interested, send me your e-mail address.  I don't want to fill up all of Phil's server space!
NECPSadelae.jpg.JPG

NECPSadelae2.jpg.JPG

NECPSbyblis.jpg.JPG

NECPSceph1.jpg.JPG

NECPSdisplay1.jpg.JPG

NECPSnep5.jpg.JPG

NECPSlunch2.jpg.JPG

Nice pics Schloaty -

I have to wait to finish shooting the roll and get them developed.

By the way folks, those bical pitchers were H U G E!! Big as a softball - one of the scariest plants I have ever seen...

WildBill

I want a camera like Schloaty's!

My photos are up on the NECPS page, but i haven't done the writeup yet - words fail me.
wink.gif

I also was too excited to remember to photo a lot of cool plants, so i'm counting on you guys to fill in the gaps.  I know i took a photo of Ken's huge, awesome N. rafflesiana, but it disappeared somewhere.

Schloaty, if you have any photos you want to contribute to the NECPS album, please send them to me.

The best story i heard from the show was the kid who came in, waving a $1 bill, saying "I want to buy a carnivorous plant... i want to buy that plant..." (plunking down his dollar):
2003101113-NECPS-CP-show-D.muscipula-Jeff's%20big%20pot-o-VFT.jpg

Hilarious!
rolleyes.gif

D muscipula -

You certainly have done another fantastic job!! Mind if I post one from the website?

2003101111-NECPS-CP-show-H.heterodoxa-flowering.jpg

I can't wait to hear the vote tally from John.

WildBill

Hey!  That's Ghost on the far right!  My almost-white gracilis pitcher!
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (D muscipula @ Oct. 14 2003,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want a camera like Schloaty's!

My photos are up on the NECPS page, but i haven't done the writeup yet - words fail me.
wink.gif

I also was too excited to remember to photo a lot of cool plants, so i'm counting on you guys to fill in the gaps.  I know i took a photo of Ken's huge, awesome N. rafflesiana, but it disappeared somewhere.

Schloaty, if you have any photos you want to contribute to the NECPS album, please send them to me.

The best story i heard from the show was the kid who came in, waving a $1 bill, saying "I want to buy a carnivorous plant... i want to buy that plant..." (plunking down his dollar):
2003101113-NECPS-CP-show-D.muscipula-Jeff's%20big%20pot-o-VFT.jpg

Hilarious!
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You're lucky Nathan... The kid offered me the $1.00 for your massive VFT. I almost took the dollar ha ha ha...

My favorite story was asking "Does anyone know why carnivorous plants eat bugs?" A polite kid raises his hand and answers "To obtain Nitrogen to help them grow in poor soils". A bit stunned, I asked if he knew where "Venus Fly traps grow in the wild?" Without blinking he answered "North Carolina". He confided in me later that he had a Utricularia terrarium and that he had driven 700 miles!!! with his mother to attend the show.

I gave him a hunk of Schloaty's donated U. livida and he gushed "This is the best show EVER!!!" With John's blessing we gave him a D. capensis and a couple of tubes of Dr. Uhnak's Cp's. One happy kid left the show!!

Kirk, i just wish that VFT was mine... my big one died.
sad.gif
RIP
That one belongs to Jeff. When i exclaimed at its amazingness, he just said in a diffident kind of way "Actually, it looks terrible to me. It froze a few nights ago and i just cut off around 50 traps." !!!! Woah!

Is the kid you're talking about the one in the photos i have of you lecturing by the big bical?

Yeah, cameo appearance by Schloaty's gracilis.  Sooooo close to fame, Schloaty.  Heh heh.  That heliamphora was amazing... but so were all the other plants!

Actually, you do have your moments of glory.  I find this photo quite hilarious: it invites all kinds of captions....

2003101117-NECPS-show-Friends%20don't%20let%20friends%20do%20sarracenia%20juice-Just%20say%20no-Schloaty%20&%20Thomas.jpg

The one i picked was "Friends don't let friends do Sarracenia juice - JUST SAY NO!"  But "A toast to us" would have worked as well  
wow.gif

rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Nathan, you better sleep with one eye open!
tounge.gif

HIIIIIIIIII YA!
wow.gif

Good pictures. My fav is the Byblis pic, I want that plants so bad at the moment. Looked like a fun show. Makes me want to go to the next LACP society meeting. Thanx for the pics

Yeah, that byblis pot was very impressive....It was my wife's favorite!

I've never seen it before in person. I didn't realize that B. liniflora was so small - but very beautiful. Here's another photo:

2003101110-NECPS-CP-show-Byblis-B.liniflora.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildBill @ Oct. 17 2003,1:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">More Pics:

2003101118-NECPS-show-display%20rack.jpg
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Is that an N. northiana on the bottom row? The third plant from the left?

I'm not sure. I did take a close up photo of the pitcher. When I finish the roll of film and get it developed I will post it here or in another thread.

I had a small Northiana x Veitchi in the show - but it was on another table.

Jeff Matheson noticed one of my large VFTs had a developing two headed leaf, so I am waiting to photograph it. I had so much to do before the show, I didn't even notice!!

WildBill

If it is that's a beauty!

Double flytraps heads are a common on my 1 particular plant. Must be those Northern New York bugs.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 18 2003,1:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that an N. northiana on the bottom row? The third plant from the left?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It is a N. x mixta superba that I received as a cutting a few months ago.

Yeah, sorry i didn't do a better job photographing all the unique and exciting plants there... i was too busy being excited and giddy.

I believe i did see an N. northiana there, though. Didn't Matt have one?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dave S. @ Oct. 18 2003,1:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 18 2003,1:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that an N. northiana on the bottom row? The third plant from the left?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It is a N. x mixta superba that I received as a cutting a few months ago.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
N x mixta superba is (N. northiana x N. maxima) so Dustin's got a good eye for his Neps....
Dave's plant has better pitchers than the mother plant (round of applause please)!!!

Back