What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPM of water for plant types

biggrin.gif
hey people
i heard something about 100ppm and below is safe water ?
well i bought the most $#%#$ water i heard of its reverse osmosis
AND its remineralized (what the @#$@#) its 35 ppm
i was wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the highest safe ppm of water for each type of plants
currently i only have vft's
but i plant to get some nepenthes
wink.gif

Watch your language for one... "Gayest" is kinda a derogatory remark...

As for your question... 0 parts mineral per million H2O is probably the only safe thing for plants... It's the minerals that build up in the soil... The fewer ppm that are in the water just means that it will take longer for the minerals to build up...

I honestly dont know for sure if there are minerals, but ppl do collect it and use it as safe water... The trick is to catch it before it touches anything (ie, shingles, paint, soil, etc...) so that it is as pure as you can get it... For safety's sake run it thru a coffee filter, but NOT a brita (as i'm not really sure if they DO or DON'T add anything, better to be safe)... I think rain water usually has a little bit of a yellow tinge where u r... Mine does... o_O

I don't think the acid rain should harm it, but flushings of pure water wouldnt either...
wink.gif

RaW$,
  In nature there is no such thing as pure water.   All natural water has impurities disolved in it.  Rain starts out as water vapor that condenses around tiny bits of dust.  Even after purifying water there are still impurities in it.   The important thing is to keep the amount of impurities to a minimum so they don't build up rapidly in the potting soil and kill your CPs.   As far as parts per million (ppm) of contaminants in rain water it's going to depend on what's in the air at the time it rains.

I never understand why people make such a big deal about water for their cp`s, I spend about a dollar a month for a gallon of distilled water.

Distilled should be lower in dissolved solids than RO. They should both work fine for any cps. Yes it is true that the purer the water the slower the buildup of minerals. You could periodically flush the plants in the sink to help get rid of some. But eventually they should be repotted.

You can collect rainwater off of roofs etc.. just wait until it has rained a little first to wash off dirt and impurities that might come out from the shingles and such.
Tony

That;s what i do, I alwasy have a backup water supply.And my main use is RO system water. I am not worying about anything for a while.

R/O is not 0 ppm. 100% pure, zero impurity water is non-existant (I can go into the chemistry of it if you want but it is a long and boring lecture.)

Water is remineralized to give it "flavor" Ultra pure water is extremely bland and most people find it unpleasant to drink. Trace levels of certain elements provide enough "flavor" to make it palatable.

My recommendation for good CP water is go to Wal-MArt and buy a gallon of their distilled water (it has a purple cap.) This is about the purest water you can get for cheap.

Pyro

i have been using distilled water from day one and my plants are super healthy,and no im not going to get into those grey areas about purity of water.whats the use anyway,i think distilled water has been and still is the way to go with cps.i have always went by what pft.com preferred.

Actually, Raw, it is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen, but as everyone else says, I am not going into a big long boring lecture *snores* . Also, how much does a reverse osmosis water filter cost? Are they a good investment?

I just buy the RO or Distilled water from the dispenser at the supermarket. I think it's about CAN$3 for 5 gallons. The cashier always looks a little disappointed that the giagantic item he or she has lugged across the scanner was only a measly few dollars.

A reverse osmosis filter starts around 150$ ( US ). It will just go up from there.
smile.gif

If you have a large collection, it is worth it...if you have only a few plants, then distilled water is fine.

Wow...only $1 a month on distilled water?? Boy, I wish! We've had so little rain here in the last year I'm going thru it by the gallons and gallons a week. Wouldn't you know as soon as I get into to CPs...mother nature decides its not going to rain in Virginia any more.
sad.gif

I hear Texas is getting too much...send some of it up here!

Suzanne

I go thru at least 10L a week... Six dollars canadianforten Litres. Its a pian the the bum...

I usually use distilled, but tap water occasionally, especially if I'm out of distilled or know I'll repot the plant within a year. If you're reallyworried about it, try adding a little dihydrogen monoxide to your water.
wink.gif

Back