What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qucik dormancy question

schloaty

Staff member
I read through just about the whole big dormancy string....everyone is concerned about how cold it can be...how about this:

What is the MAXIMUM temperature that will get, say VFT's to go dormant? is 65 to warm? How about 60?

How about various forms of Sarencia ( I currently have Flava and Purpurea ssp Venosa)

I really hope 60 is ok, 'cause then all my problems will be solved...
confused.gif

I had good success for vfts and D. filiformis tracyi last year at around 50 degrees f, and I'm doing that with them and some young sarracenia this year, but where I've got them, they won't get any more light than the natural photoperiod. If you have them that warm, it might still work, if you keep the photoperiod short enough, but if they get artificial light at night, it could cause problems.

60 shouldn't be a problem for Sarracenia, provided you reduce the light it gets and keep it a bit dryer than you would during the growing season.

I have a friend in Brazil who grows both genera with good success so I feel the cold is a secondary consideration. Photoperiod seems to be the most critical factor. This may or may not work for you however. I have not experimented along these lines. Keep an eye on your plants: if they appear dormant, they probably are. My friend states that his plants never stop growing, but the growth slows in winter, and the traps are smaller.

Ok, Thanks guys!
I have a plan formulating....
wink.gif

Back