What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great post, Tamlin. Reminds of last April when a gave away about a dozen of my extra cp's due to lack of space. Several of them went to a grade school in Fort Worth to help children learn about them.

Thanks for spreading the word.

Alan

You never know when one of those children you inspire today with your time and energy will turn out to be another great researcher. The old guard will have to change, and who will be there to replace the likes of Barry Rice, Donald Schnell, Joe Marzimas, Robert Gibson, Allen Lowrie, Jan Schlauer, Phill Mann (to name but a few)? I hope that they are here with us now, reading this post. You can take this hobby as far as you can go with it: as far as your inspiration will lift you. There is little monetary reward for such hard work, but once again, it is not money that makes us live, or that makes life worth living. The wonder and beauty of these plants has appealed to the finest minds, from Charles Darwin until now. This is a hobby rich in tradition and honor for the Earth, affording everything from a simple delight in the incredible genius of a Creation that could bring forth such miraculous plants, to a deeper glimpse into the workings of evolution that crystalizes potential into being over a length of time long enough to erode mountains the size of the Andes into sand! These plants "get under your skin" as Phill Mann so eloquently stated to me on learning of my return to cultivation after a long period of inactivity. It all starts as an appreciation for the often bizzare "personalities" that these plants demonstrate, but it can lead to some awesome realizations, and a hunger to understand the process by which these "organic beings" have come to be. What comes from this appreciation of the plants is a respect for the Earth and it's diversity. In these times of consumerism and commodification this lesson is vital, and the students of today will be the teachers of tomorrow. We all sow more than just seeds when we send out little envelopes for a SASE. The harvest will bring another generation that takes pride in this Earth we all share.

Tamlin,

Well said and the Tamlin theory has proven itself above and beyond all expectations.

Cheers to you

There are many CP sites and discussion venues to learn about CPs--their care, their habitat, how to propagate, etc. And all of that is wonderful...so much to learn! Very rich resources available thru the 'net.

But the best thing is making sure that the plants are maintained in cultivation and continue to spread to ensure they don't disappear from this world. Having a really rare plant is cool...but sharing it with others when you can is cooler!

This forum and these folks here do an amazing job of "spreading the love"...it is a philosophy that goes beyond just growing "cool plants". There are MANY who follow "the Tamlin Theory."
smile.gif

As has been mentioned, you do not know what newbie today will be the one to write the greatest book on CPs or do the most for their protection and conservation in the future.

So teach who you can, share when you can, do what you can. There is no act of kindness that is "little"...its a ripple effect that keeps on spreading outward to envelope the world.

Its really cool to have rare plant...but even cooler to share it when you can.
smile.gif

And by the way...generosity and kindness goes beyond plants! Make it part of every day life. When someone does something nice for you...in turn do something nice for someone else.

My thanks to Tamlin and many others who have shared with me.

Suzanne

Too good of a post to end up on page 6
smile.gif

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Notice on a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR- THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

vft guy in SJ,
Don't knock too hard, the hinges are broke and the door knob may fall off.
biggrin.gif

LMAO Ozzy.... I think I've worked for this shop before.. hehehe...

Steve

I worked for a place that had a sign that said " If it can't be fixed with a sledge hammer and duct tape it's too high tech for us"

Back