What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am writing this artilcle to address the Forum members who have recently joined our swelling ranks.  The topic of how to get more plants free has been addressed by me before, so I hope older members will bear with me.  This is a topic that should never die, because not only is it good for Growers who want to expand their collections, but also essential for the plants we grow whose ranges are rapidly shrinking.  The plants need our help!

I have been involved with Cp since falling under their spell back in the middle 60’s.  At that time, there was of course no internet access.  Back then, there were very few books on the subject, and photos themselves were rare.  The mail service was slower, and there was no internet to connect us, making exchange of plants and growing methods easy.  Correspondence was limited to snail mail, and letters would often take a month to reach places like Australia.

In this sort of climate, many of the plants we take for granted today because they are “common” species were often rare and difficult to obtain.  I had a burning desire to grow as many as possible then (as now&#33
wink.gif
, and I used to write to *any* member of the ICPS that *ever* included a return address in their letters and articles in that publication: the only one of its kind in the world, and it was a Godsend!  Due to the above mentioned difficulties, I would be lucky to acquire a few new species yearly.  In those days, the work involved with acquiring these species made them very valuable, and also was fertile ground for developing some rather large egos.  Often, the size of these egos matched the length of the grow lists of the people involved.  Sharing was not a common practice: if you wanted plants you either bought the few that were offered by the infrequent businesses that sprang up, or you traded equally rare and valuable material.  There was no tissue culture to reproduce rare species in untold numbers, just individuals engaged in their individual pursuits.  Growers were few and far between, and the numbers of plants low.

When I retired in April 2001, I got a computer, and discovered the wonderful access that the internet afforded; I realized how much easier communication could be.  I began to look up old friends from the early days, and found many still involved with the pursuit of the love of these plants.  At that above date, I had not a single plant to my name.  Not so much as a lowly Drosera capensis, or Utricularia subulata.

I began making polite requests of old friends, and managed to acquire a few plants.  My income would not permit purchase, and I had little to trade.  What I did have was a towering love for these plants, and found some others that thought as I do about them.  We began to actively help each other, making a sort of pact to freely share what we got without worrying about one on one trades.  I remembered the old days, where there was little sharing, and these gifts that came were all the more precious to me.  It seems things had changed!  With every door I knocked on came a plant, almost without exception.  I started to cultivate again, and I resolved that I would try to make a difference as well by propagating the material I received.  The best way I thought to thank the people who opened their doors, hearts and collections to me, would to be to actively seek new friends to share with.  Using the internet to research species I was interested in, I found the growers that had them, and wrote polite emails introducing myself.  I always sought to learn the culture of the plants I was interested in.  I never asked outright for plants, only to learn how best to care for them should I be fortunate to someday acquire them.  Sometimes I would ask these growers if they would share the source of their plants with me.  Many times growers who realized the depth of my love for these plants would share them then with me, or at a later date when they had spares.  I, in turn, offered the same to them: to select what they would from my growlist.  My resolve was to give more than I got.  It was my way of saying thanks.  If there was nothing of interest, I asked what their wants were, and I tried to find those plants for them to share at a later date.  Often, some other grower would have them, and I would try to get them.  It was always a happy occasion all round when I could “make someones day” by telling them I had found their wanted species.

I rememberd the old days, when no one would share a rare species with me.  I remembered when I was a kid with nothing to offer: a handful of common plants that held little interest from those better connected.  I remembered the disappointment of opening a letter that had taken so long to arrive, only to be refused.

As I began in turn to send out my own material, I noticed strange phenomena starting to happen.  People appreciated these efforts, and simply could not thank me enough!  They began sending me other plants by way of thanks; plants that I had not expected to receive, and had not looked for.  Some of them were rare and expensive plants that they could have been SOLD.  Something was being demonstrated to me:  love of these plants was taking priority over money!  The friendships formed in this process of sharing were even better than the plants themselves.  To meet and know such kind folk was an honor and the gift of the plants themselves a positive proof that money need not rule every aspect of our existence.  As my collection grew, I realized I could be selling these plants, but then I would always remember the generosity these people had shown to me, when I came knocking at the door with hat in hand, and nothing but love to offer.  I resisted this temptation.  I figure, even if it costs me a little, the payback for future generations is worth it.  It’s my chance to spit in the face of the Demon Money, and it gives me great joy to be able to do this.  Phillip once wrote and asked if I felt I was being taken advantage of bt forum members.  I replied that was not possible.  My goal is to send out as much free material as I can in my remaining lifetime.  The more people take, the happier I am!

Considering the plight of the plants in habitat, I believe that the best chance your grandchildren’s children have of actually seeing these wonderful jewels of creation lies squarely on the shoulders of those who are growing them in private collections.  Botanical Gardens often do not concentrate on these plants, preferring the showier orchid species.  Also such collections come and go: depending on the love of those maintaining them.  But, in private collections, the plants are cherished and loved.  Consumerism is eroding their habitats, destroying their range.  The ranges are shrinking in all but one instance: they are spreading in the collections of those who appreciate their unique beauty.  I resolved to do everything I could to further this trend.  I encourage you to do the same.

I began to realize that we were all united by a common goal and love.  From the kids who just want a kewel plant to feed flys to,  to skilled  botanical researchers studing these plants, we were all about the same thing!  All that remained was to find a way to encourage an army of good Stewards to keep these plants growing and spreading in this way over generations.  Dr. Barry Rice, co-editor of the International Carnivorous Plant Newsletter first introduced me to the concept of being a  “Steward”.  A steward is one that holds something for another, against a future time.

It dawned on me then, that among such like-minded growers, there was really only One Collection, in many different places.  With the powerful teaching tool of the internet, Stewards could be taught how to best grow and preserve these plants.  All that remained was to inspire them in a sharing ethic that would generate an army of growers all trying their best to spread these plants.  I can’t tell you the pleasure I feel seeing this happen.  It is happening!  Rare plants are becoming less rare in collections, even if their habitats are eroding.

The Petflytrap Forum became available to me, thanks to the generosity and kindness of its founder, Phillip Crane, owner of PFT.  Here, I have tried to inspire our members to adopt the sharing ethic, and do my best to teach all how to best grow and reproduce their plants.  I have watched this concept of teaching and sharing catch hold in our community to snowball and soar.  It has been said, “No one appreciates what they do not pay for” but I have not found this to be true.  Rather, the opposite!  When you give of yourself, it reaches home, and people do appreciate it.  This appreciation can often take very concrete form as is proven by my personal growlist which may be viewed at :

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=1264

Considering the two short years I have been active again in CP, this should demonstrate to everyone that people DO appreciate this sort of sharing and thinking.  It is a testament to the incredible generosity of our worldwide community.  It makes me proud to be a CP’er!

In a nutshell, the very best way to get more plants for free is to work as hard as you can to give them away!  I can assure you that what you give away will return to you manyfold.  As the love spreads, so do the plants.  On someday in the distant future, after we are all gone, the plants will continue on their journey, thanks to your efforts here and now.

I appeal to you all to share your plants freely, and your knowledge of how to best grow them.  Do all you can to encourage and inspire others to do the same and the future will thank you for your efforts.  The plants have called to YOU to join what I believe is a most noble goal: to preserve these wonders for another age.  To Give back a little to Mother Earth.  This is a chance for us all to demonstrate that LOVE and not money, is what makes the world go round.

Finally, I want to thank all the nurseymen who provide new and exciting species to the public at reasonable prices.  I am not suggesting that such folk simply give them away (although many do share freely, and I hope the trend continues&#33
wink.gif
 There are legitimate production expenses that must be met, and how these commercial interests operate is a matter of personal ethics.  It doesn't take much to tell which are based on love for the plants, and which are based purely on profit motives.  Hardworking businessmen deserve your support to be able to continue to popularize and distribute quality merchandise.  There are good and bad busisness ethics, but that is a whole other topic.

Thank you for allowing me to express these very central beliefs.

Yours in Stewardship,

Tamlin Dawnstar

wow that's awesome
You have really inspired me to try to give plants.

thanks Tamlin
Jeremiah

I want to share a story about my first trade with Tamlin. Tamlin asked me if he had anything I wanted. At the time I didn't have that much to trade I had quite a few plants but I didn't have many spares.
I sell flytraps, pitcher plants and sundews on weekends. I buy the plants from a supplier and I told Tamlin about them. The flytraps I had been getting had always had about 10 extremely red flytraps in a case of 25. I told him I had just ordered a new case and I would send him one along with a some D.capiliaris. He agreed and sent me the plants he promised me. I got his plants and of course he sent alot more then he had promised. I was so thrilled.
I got my order of flytraps and there was not one red one in the whole case. The reason he wanted the flytrap was because I told him how red they are. I sent him an email telling him what had happened. I expected a very harsh email back from him telling me that I stiffed him and he would tell everybody he knew what I had done. Instead I got an email telling me it was ok. That I could send him one whenever I got it. I looked for sarcasm in the email but there was none. I really didn't know him at that time. And I couldn't believe what he was telling me. He sent me about $30 worth of plants and now I was telling him I couldn't send him anything at that time. If you think that's something he was even willing to send me more plants.
Of course I made good on my trade when I got my next order of flytraps. Even though they were not as red as the ones I had gotten at first from that supplier, they were red enough to make him happy.
He has sent me alot more plants since then and I have sent him some plants and some things other than plants. It feels really good to know that if a friend has a plant that you want they'll send it to you, no strings attached because they know that you'll do the same for them. If you add up everything that I have sent him and what he sent me I know I would owe him alot. Tamlin gives so much it would be hard to keep up with him.
This weekend I got to be on Tamlins end, I gave away some plants to somebody here on pft.
I understand why you do it now. It goes beyond the people you give plants to, Your generosity has now entered it's second generation. I think your philosophy will be around long after all of of are gone.
I think I speak for everybody here when I say Thank You.

wow, william, I don't know what to say... You're a CP Legend.
biggrin.gif

Ditto, I am inspired to give away plants
biggrin.gif

thanks
-spec

I have a zillion little drosera seedlings in my living room because of Tamlin's generosity. They're all quite TINY but I'm hoping to be able to share them with you all when they're big enough to be passed along!
As always Tamlin, thank you!
Holden

hmmm i feel like a hug right about now hehe
biggrin.gif
! tamlin - great read, very insiring. i have heard nothing but great feedback from those who have met you. you always seem so very sincere when passing on your knowledge to others, its always so fun and interesting to read your posts. so thanx for all you share with us *sniffle sniffle*  
biggrin.gif
i know of atleast one individual that has caught on to your giving ideology--->OZZY!!! i met mark on these forums and upon finding that we live very near each other we ended up hangin out.  i got to see his sweet plants and a had some good fun (gobstopper lol). when i left, i left needing his help to carry all of the the amazing gifts that he had given me
wink.gif
!!! it's guys like you two that make this more of a friendly community instead of typical, lonely hobby! keep rockin-thanx guys
smile.gif

xDouglasx

Death66, you left a pack of seeds on my couch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jeremiah @ June 30 2003,8:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You have really inspired me to try to give plants.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah, like you need inspired Jeremiah. You were the first one to give me plants when I first joined the forums a year ago. You are the first to inspire me to give plants away and help people find/get plants they are looking for. Tamlin, you have also been a strong inspiration to share what I have even if all I have is my experience.

Wow, Tamlin. That gives a whole new meaning to "Free Love"!
biggrin.gif

I've been the "victim" of this philosophy several times already. It's incredible.

Tamlin,

Whoa. That was a really inpsiring read. I totally and completely agree with you. I had a little bog a few years ago, which was destroyed by a friends dog. Just lately, I've gotten back into cps. Now I have 35 kinds, and have received great joy in giving a few friends vfts and sundews. That was incredibly rewarding, and I look forward to sharing my plants as much as possible. I'm lucky to have been fortunate in business, and the cost of cps isn't significant to me. What is significant is bringing joy and a love of cps to other people. Just by having them, a lot of people who have never seen such things now now about them. I've made it a point to try to propagate the ones I have now. I have several leaf cuttings of various Drosera going right now, plus some very successful Ping cuttings (every single leaf I've plucked from a ping has made a successful new plant.) I look forward to giving them away. I can't wait for an opportunity to propagate my neps.

Tamlin, the world needs more people like you.

Capslock

Well, sure, thanks to you all for sharing with me as well :) lets not let this become a Tamlin testimonial though. I have been thanked a-plenty already. The topic really is "How to get free plants", and this attitude really has worked for me.

I haven't been able to send out stuff as much as I want, and I STILL am being flooded with plants: 11 additions today, 30 more in the mail en route.....

By the way, I have not yet begun to rock. I see a greenhouse in my future in the next year or so with good propagation conditions, heh heh, and when that happens the U.S. Postal Service is going to start earning their pay, yeah!

Like the fat guy in red, I am making a list and checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice.....

I would like to thank such a wonderful fellow giver too. He's Christian Cerny, who sent me a box full of VFTs and Sarras free...just to give them to my students to teach them more about carnivorous plants!

Till today, which is 2 years later, my students still remember him and their younger peers would come and ask me if I could give them some VFTs. Even students not in my class heard about it! <Chris, are you here?>

Nowadays, although I no longer have VFTs or Sarras (a bad bout of root mealies wiped them out), I have the habit of taking a cutting every other month, pot it and give it away when it is established.

Best thing about giving away? The species is kept within a circle of friends (students included) so if you should lose a plant to disease, just ask for a cutting or seeds. In fact, I've just asked for n.gracilis (deep maroon, almost black pitchers) from my student whom I gave the plant to 2 years ago.
wink.gif

Cindy,

That is an excellent point you make. Giving away plants is the best insurance policy that can be had. I enjoyed Barry Rice's response to a listserve question: "What is the best way to store seeds". Barry's answer was "to send them to as many growers as possible."

I recently lost my plants of my soon to be published cultivar D. "Tamlin". Upon learning of my loss, a forum member who I had sent seed to returned some of the seed I had sent, and I received the packet last week, in the original envelope I had sent it in. I thought that handwriting looked familiar!

I'll own up to that Tamlin  
smile.gif
, if there wasn't a few thousand miles of ocean between us I would have probably driven round and given you a pot of seedlings. Actually, you were lucky I still had some seeds left, as well as planting some myself, I have passed this seed on to two other UK growers and given seedlings to another two (that's the Tamlin effect! ).

I've been growing CPs for over twenty years now, but it's only been in the last 14 months since I became an active member of the on-line CP community, that my collection has really taken off. If it wasn't for both Tamlin's philosophy and practice of generously giving plant material to other growers, I doubt I would have followed suit, and it works. There are a lot of growers in the UK, who now have greatly increased their sundew collections thanks to Tamlin. There was a time when I tried to keep up by matching what Tamlin sent, but now I know that's impossible, he just sends you more stuff back!  
biggrin.gif

Just in case you can't wait for the seeds I returned to germinate, here is a photo of a young D. 'Tamlin', I have plenty of these and should be able to send as much seed as you need in the future.

Tamlinosa.jpg

Thanks

Vic

I have a million things I could say but I really suck at words. I will say that I first 'met' Tamlin just before I moved to Atlanta in September 2001. At the time my growlist was around 20 plants. It is almost 2 years later and because of Tamlins teachings my generosity has rewareded me with close to 250 plants. All from just giving what I could to those who wanted it. It is a special kind of magic
smile.gif

That article really inspired me to, I just got 4 capeinis from shloaty(thaanks&#33
wink.gif
and I hope that I get more of them
biggrin.gif
and give em away to some of the beginners
biggrin.gif

Wow.. you guys (and gals) seem like a pretty great group. I just discovered this forum last night and have been enjoying reading over all the old posts. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. Its really great to know that there actually are people in the world who would rather see a
smile.gif
than a $....    Bravo

In the summer I have a CP sale table at our local Gardener's Market. Often a parent won't stop even if a kid is interested. On their way back I often give kids free plants, or a kid comes back on his bicycle just to talk.

I also do plant trades (CP, & non-CP) and always put in extra bonus CP items.

Another fun trick when I do presentations, is to raffle a free plant or put a few brightly colored stickers underneath the chair seats before the people come. During question & answer time I have people look under their seats - and the lucky ones who have the sticker get a plant.

Wild Bill

Tamlin, I'm very impressed by your philosphy and generosity, which you shared so eloquently. I find people in this forum to be very open and eager to help those of us who are new. I look forward to the time when I can learn how to propigate my favorite plants (right now, they're ALL my favorites&#33
wink.gif
and so share them with others. I'd love to be able to do a talk at my local library and get some kids turned on to these amazing plants.

Thanks again for sharing.

cpwitch

Back