What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plants at osu ati demonstration

I'm kind of curious about this; I'm not sure if I understand what it is. Are they trying to encourage people to plant CPs in their gardens? That's a cool idea, but everyone I know waters their garden with a hose, so wouldn't that kill the plants? I'm quite interested as I've always thought it would be cool to setup a small CP garden at my house someday. Let us know how it is/was if you go/went.

I attened the demonstration today at ATI. The demonstration was given by my former college professor Dr. Robert McMahon. The demonstration lasted for about 30 minutes. There were between 10-15 people watching the demonstration at various times, with at least 10 full time.

The demonstration included an overview of how carnivorous plant traps work and where they grow. It also covered proper watering dormancy information as well as planting of a bog garden in a 12 inch pot. Plants covered were the Venus Flytrap, various sundews, butterworts, and pitcher plants. The session is geared towards introducing people to the world of canivorous plants.

Dormancy, pure water, proper potting medium, lighting and temperatures were stressed greatly as needed for success of growing carnivorous plants.

Dr. McMahon has grown carnivorous plants for over 30 years.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The demonstration was given by my former college professor Dr. Robert McMahon.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So then you must have gone to Ohio State right?  I plan to attend OSU in the fall.  If you don't mind me asking what did you major in?  Thanks.
smile.gif

-buckeye

My major was in Greenhouse Production and Management.

Here are a few photos of the ATI Carnivorous Plant Collection.

CarnivorousPlantCollection.jpg

Overview of the collection.

D_capensis.jpg

Drosera capensis

D_binata.jpg

Drosera binata

Sarracenia_terrariumMcMahon.jpg

Sarracenia

U_livida.jpg

U. livida

VenusFlytrap.jpg

Drosera muscipula