What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pots

I have finally restocked on supplies, such as silica sand, peat, perlite, sphagnum, and pots. But I have finished using all the pots but still have lots of thigns to plant. Anyone uses anything else as pots, such as any container, if you do, post post =D.

CUPS
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
(inside joke)

Actually I did use plastic cups with holes poked in for my very small plants and it worked well. I now purchase pots. I prefer square, but will take anything.

I have decided to listen to many people and decided to buy some 9 oz cups for my seeds/seedlings and I have some 16 oz cups at home. Making some holes at the bottom, until i can buy more pots. I perfer the terracot pots, the rounds one, I have 10 4" pots and 2 6" pots. Hopefully, I'll have over a 100 soon =D

I like deep and narrow pots.

Drinking cups, yogurt cups and assorted type things work fine for a little while. Keep in mind though that these plastic things are often not UV stabilized like pots made for plants and if you keep them out in the sun they quickly will become brittle and break up.

Tony

I have been corrected, terra cotts are bad for cps, they leech minerals back into the medium.  So, I guess I'll have to use them for something else and buy some new pots. Argh, I have terra cott plastic ones, not the terra cott clay ones. The clay ones are bad, the plastic ones are good.

DKiM128, Actually clay pots can be used for CPs but only if they are properly sealed so that they are not pourous. I use them simply because they look so good...but seal them with parriffin. It is a rather elaborate and time consuming processs (suggested to me by a chemical engineer friend) because any left over hydrocarbons must be driven off by heat...but it works and my collection has a nice uniform look.
smile.gif
If you want more info on the process, PM me.

For larger, deeper pots, cut off the top of a two liter soda bottle (or any plastic bottle). I did this for my N. merrilliana because they like really deep pots, but a 4 inch plant looks rediculous in a 1 gallon pot!
biggrin.gif

I used clean Mott's Applesause containers to plant my VFT seeds in. I put four seeds in each container, sixty seeds and fifteen containers total. It's working well now, and I currently have 21 seedlings growing!!!

Back