What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toad!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Okay, several days ago, I saw a huge Sounthern Toad in the pot of my Venosa, right? I wasn't so surprised. But then he stayed for FOUR DAYS! Then, I noticed he left for five more days, then he came back. He's been there for three or four days now and he goes out for food every morning/night. When I roll the greenhouse out in the sun, I mist him every half hour... so he doesn't bake. Ain't this weird? And the pot he's in on the top shelf, FOUR FEET from the ground. And you wonder how he gets up through the metal shelves and frame to get up there every day... Anyway, I'm beginning to think he's set up permanent residence in there... y'all think he will move once he gets too big to stay there without uprooting the plant?

Oh well... just thought I'd let you know. Funny thing, actually...

BTW, I named him "Toes" for his long toes
tounge.gif

He isn't digging into the soil during the day?

Cool. It is pretty neat to have a toad hangin around! Although I would've fed him to the purp myself
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Mat have you seen the size of those shouthern toads? But that would be cool a purp that big. Btw nice to see you back here again ftg.

I'm a midwesterner myself, so I guees not. I've seen some pretty big bullfrogs though. I was thinking she was just talking about a small toad.

i would be surprised if that toad was liveing in your pitchers considering that many animals make there homes in pitcher plants in the wild such as frogs , toads , crabs ,even birds .

Birds? What species?

oh sry about the bird thing , i'm gettign confused with that topic in the nep forum about bird crap for n. lowii's lunch . alothugh i';m sure that if there have been some reports of nepenthes catching small monkeys then why not birds . also , nat trap , whats is your post doing here ( this is a job for CP2K or another mod ) .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (goldtrap2690 @ Sep. 27 2003,3:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i would be surprised if that toad was liveing in your pitchers considering that many animals make there homes in pitcher plants in the wild such as frogs , toads , crabs ,even birds .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Not *in* the pitchers. He's just snuggled up on the soil next to the plant.

Mat, two reasons why I wouldn't do that:

1) He's three times the size of the mouth of the pitchers, and
2) HE'S CUTE!!!

Jhaluska, nope! Probably because when it's hot during the day, I mist him once in a while. That keeps him nice and wet!

Pond boy, where'd I go? ***scratches head***

I just haden`t seen you around in a while.And remember to wash your hands if you touch a toad because they give off toxic secreations from those ugh.....toxin secreteing glands behind theire eyes. (now I know your thinking I`m a complete idiot for thinking that you may not know this,but hey I didn`t want you touching a toad then eating something and ending up in the emrgency room. I know those shouthern toads can easily kill a dog or cat.)

I see what you're saying flytrapgurl, but maybe when the purp gets bigger?
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Those shouthern toads can be a foot wide!

Okay then, feed it to a friends purp who's is already big enough. I'm sure many people on pft would gladly feed the toad to the purp so it doesn't get to big for any cp in the world.
tounge.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
alien.gif

Yeah, I know about the poison. Heck, I have a leopard gecko. I know this stuff.
wink.gif

Dude, I'm the only one in the city of Titusville who keeps CPs. Now THAT tells you something.
rolleyes.gif

Not only do toads secret those toxins pondboy was talking about, they'll also give you warts if you touch them.  At least according to an old wives tale.
rolleyes.gif

-buckeye

Does it mean titusville is a really small town?
tounge.gif

*waits for head to get chopped off*

This is the only time I can talk back to an adult.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 30 2003,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, I know about the poison. Heck, I have a leopard gecko. I know this stuff.
wink.gif

Dude, I'm the only one in the city of Titusville who keeps CPs. Now THAT tells you something.
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i doubt that. there are many people who grow just a vft from a nursery

No,the toxin CAN NOT give you warts but if you swalowed it it could potentialy be lethal,and if you got it in your eyes it would cause temporary blindness.Ohh,and ftg do leoperd geckos give of toxins?

Southern toad? As in a CAIN TOAD?! As in one of the gratest enviornmental disators to ever hit the planet CAIN TOAD! As in kills everything and has no preditors CAIN TOAD?! Not Cute, evil invasive species responcible for the extinction of dozens of other creatures world wide, Inclueding native toads! I know they are native to the southern islands, but if they aren't native to florida, kill it. Yah it sounds bad, I like toads too, but I like native toads. People spend huge sums of money and time world wide trying to kill off these nasty critters befor they take over compleatly (they have even caused insect species to go extinct in some places)

Back