What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spamming at gardenweb

Status
Not open for further replies.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Additionally, this place is run with respect...
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
And it was this respect that caused us to halt the attack.
When it was felt that all exsisting members of GW were getting out of hand with the posts on that site, Phil and Jeff asked us to stop. They ASKED us to stop when we could easily have drained every last member from that site. We listened and without questioning their reasons we halted that very second. Does spike have that much admiration from his members?......

Ron,

Regarding your comments on my post to Gardenworld you said,

"I saw that post. It looked like very much like a spam message. It was very suspicious looking, and I commented on that fact at the time. It was very long and verbose, and phrased like the typical spam message. "

Exactly what made it "suspicious"? - An appeal on a public forum to motivate generosity between growers of CP is somehow suspicious?

"and phrased like a typical spam message"

What on Earth is a typical spam message? I made no mention of any other forum, or commercial entities, and followed GW's rules to the letter. This was a personal response of vindictiveness to a legitimate on-topic post, and a judgement against free speech. In the past my offer of free seeds was not questioned - what changed?

By the way Ron, did you pick up any of those packets of seed of Drosera burmanii distributed at the last LACPS meeting? If so you will realize that I practise what I preach regarding generosity since those donations came from me. If others followed my lead it would be better for the growers and the plants all round, this was what I tried to say. This is a highly evolved concept well suited to the folk here at PFT, and I am so sorry you missed the point. I don't often polish my apples, but your comments offend me. Suspicious indeed!

Despite your "suspicions" I really am a nice guy that only wants to do my bit for CP's and CPer's. I find your "suspicions" both sad and somewhat amusing.

Happily the same post here was warmly received.

"If you had just used a few simple sentences, and hadn't made is to long and spam-like, I think it would have been OK. "

I do not care if you approved or not of the length or content of what I said: I believe that if there is a public forum, I have the right to speak as I will. The content was on topic, and I followed the rules. What you "think" is up to you, but your opinions don't necessairily reflect those of the majority.

I am glad of that.

tamlin im suspicous of you too

nobody is that generous!!!

free seed for everyone?

i think its just step one in your 12 step plan of world domination!!!

lol
seriously, thanks for the seeds! youve given freely to prob just about everyone here and we all appreciate it~!

lets forget about GW, really not worth the time or forum space here...

we all have so many other interesting things to say, so lets bury it and move on.

ron, stick around, we can agree to disagree butif yougive PFT a chance, youll love it here

You know. I am very much over this. period.

This has done nothing more than stir up the feelings that we all do not want to address any longer.

Eklaab, if you wish do continue a conversation and:

1) Not address an issue of importance that some really want to know. Only wanting to dwell on the things of little importance.

2) Only addressing things that you know will offend and upset these great people/users.

I suggest you do this in a mirror or with GW, because you are not going to get nice responses and you are doing nothing more now than insulting those that want to do something great for this CP World.

I just can't help but wonder:

Why it is that no issue that is brought up can be addressed by yourself or Spike or the GW staff.

The definition of spamming. And how it is perceived that if someone not related to PFT uses those words it is grounds for banning. And they are called spammers.

And if I remember correctly what all was going on at GW that day....people were not putting the words together, spelling them backwards, and using redirecting tools so those words did not actually appear on the site.

So therefore, I would think that it is possible for someone ( many someone's ) to go onto GW and do what they did. ( With 'filters' in place )

As a matter of fact, I am willing to wager that I can go on there now and post petflytrap.com

Would I? NO. I am way over that ( just like this discussion about it ).

I ask that you either:

1) address the issues that are being brought up and are being avoided.

OR

2) drop it and stop with the insulting of these people.

If you wish to take this matter up with me in private

jaie@petflytrap.com

I would be more than happy to have an open and civil discussion via email and not on this forum.

I agree that this topic is getting about at its end and has long ago moved in to the pointless realm.

Against me better judgment I will add something to it though.

I would just like to point out that despite the things you have said and the apperance of a pro-GW almost anti-PFT stand the members here have been able to drop thier biases and welcome you (Chris, myself, Ram, Statik.) No one here has blatantly dismissed you and you have not been banned. I think that says something about our members and our attitude. We care about ther plants and about helping each other. Pretty much everything else just kind of falls by the way-side

Pyro

snoooooooze........yawn..........I'm so very tired of this discussion about the other site. To all the great members of PFT I say:
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!! Here we have the best membership in not just the CP world but the whole world
smile.gif
We should all stand proud of our open mindedness and freedom of speech for all.
Hooray for us!!

>>I saw that post. It looked like very much like a spam message. It was very suspicious looking, and I commented on that fact at the time. It was very long and verbose, and phrased like the typical spam message. "

>Exactly what made it "suspicious"?

It was much longer than it needed to be. I have nothing against the giving out free seeds, not at all. The way it was presented gave the impression of being a spam message. I received hundreds of spam emails, and after starting to read what you posted, I could not get rid of the feeling that was was not aspam message. That is what made it suspicious. Then when I inquired on the discussion group what seeds you had, you did not want to disclose that on the group, which only added further to the suspicions.

Five and six other people had also posted messages echoing these same thoughts, so it just wasn't me.

>>"If you had just used a few simple sentences, and hadn't made is to long and spam-like, I think it would have been OK. "

>I do not care if you approved or not of the length or content of what I said

I didn't say I disapproved of what you said, I merely said it was suspicious, and I even gave you advice on how to make it less spam-like. The discussion was never completed on GardenWeb.

Ron

The discussion was never completed on GardenWeb.

I guess that's what happens when someone is banned. They don't come back. They go somewhere more friendly.

Patrick

Ok eklaab you stated your complaint we heard it out and gave you our explanations and feelings on the matter.
What more do you want?
Are you just here to complain about things that are obviously over your head, only because you refuse to listen? I think we've been pretty clear on the matter.
We got angry.....We did the spamming.... We saw that it was getting out of hand...We stopped.
End of story.
What is it that you are NOT getting? I think it is pretty clear what happened and why it happened. If not read the posts as far as the rest of us are concerned we decided to drop it a while ago and have better things to do than worry about petty things in our past.
Maybe you should pick up another hobby aside from growing plants I don't think it's keeping you busy enough.
and by the way.....Get Over It!!! Its HISTORY!!!

>Ok eklaab you stated your complaint

Complaint? I haven't stated any complaints. I've just joined in this discussion which was already in progress. I'm assuming you can rebutt or support any of the arguments here. This is a discussion group after all, isn't it? If you want to not participate any further because you are unable to refute some of the excellent points made here, that is fine, too.

Ron

Wow, I never knew all this about a garden website! 8-0

I think we had talk too much on garden web spamming
better go on CP topics sure that would most of us more happy.
my main way is live and let live so let GW live as long as they have some users there at the end you would see all of them over here.
arie

Ron,

I think the point of contention here for people is that you dont SEEM to be acknowladging the facts that have been given to you.

I personally have begun to look at this whole thread as a blight here, a dark smear on an otherwise pristine forum. To my knowledge, this is perhaps the most absolutely negative discussion that has ever happened here, it's a very emotionally charged topic, and not something everyone cares to read. (and I have no problem admitting that I have been a part of this)

But basically, this is a happy, respectful place.  I don't think we should lock this thread because I think it serves a useful purpose, and knowing you Ron, I know that you wont result to flaming, and knowing our membership, I know it won't come to that either.  But I would like to take a moment to remind everyone of one of the cardinal rules here.

BE NICE

(I hope everyone realizes that I am not trying to be mean or start a fight here, this is quite simply a frank discussion)

That being said:

Ron, people have been kind enough to answer your questions with their views on the matter, but I have seen very little reciprocation from you.  This is not in your nature as I have witnessed, I have seen you answer even the simplest most annoying questions about various plants with calm and candor before.  

Why not answer our views here?

We have noticed that you tend to ignore (for the most part) the larger pertinant points of the discussion, such as spikes immature behavior, and focus on smaller issues, such as Tamlins post being 'suspicious'. Strange, I never remember anyone thinking my novellas at GW were suspicious, and SPAM to give away seed seems like one of the most unlikely schemes in history...

regardless, It is a trend on gardenweb not only to ban people using those dangerous petflytrap words, but anyone who wants to practice a basic tennant of humanity, helping another.  in that sense, gardenweb seems to be run by people out of touch with humanity.  (That is a side point however)

My point, fish or cut bait.  If your trolling to keep for a fight, then I am very dissapointed, and you are not the person I held in high esteem when I first joined the online cp community.  (I hope I am wrong)

ALso, if you are afraid that if you respond in the positive about spike being chump, I understand, he would probably ban you for writing anything agreeable here.  so feel free to contact me in private.

EDIT NOTES: After re-reading I changed a few words that made this post seem less combative. I don't want people to think anyone here is trying to pick a fight. If my post seems blunt, it probably is, but please do not infer rudeness, trolling, or anything else.

(Edited by RamPuppy at 5:58 pm on April 18, 2002)

sooo uh...

anyone read any good books lately?

Mmm. This thread seems to be turning very un-Petflytrap like, with a few harsh words flying about.
Maybe we should call it a day eh? Do either Phil or Jaie fancy locking this topic?
Just a thought.

I have added a note at the front of the topic asking those who don't want to be involved here to shy away from this topic.

I also believe people need to remember that everyone here is a nice person. I know Ron, and as long as things haven't changed, I think he's a nice guy. Blunt statements and questions are not always meant to be rude, but can be taken that way, as the written language does not contain inflections. Please attempt to read this with a grain of salt, and understand that for some of us this is an discussion that needs to happen.

That being said, if members of our community feel that this discussion is detracting from our community (as quite a few of us do) then something should be done about it. I for one, while feeling the tone is darker than we are used to, feel that it is a constructive exchange, at least a little bit, which is more than we have had on this issue before. So I think as long as the tree bears good fruit, regardless of how ugly it is, then it should stay open.

Also remember that the moderators here have some pretty hefty tools, <insert> Phenominal Cosmic Powers <insert> just because we rarely use them doesn't mean we don't have them. Faith friends, faith!
smile.gif

Blah.
Spike: Rude to Phil & Jeff regarding advertising and forum rules.
Spike: Filter in GW for links to PFT.com (yes it happened to me)
Spike: Banning random people who mention PFT.
PFT: Upset. Some members may have purposefully evaded the filter.
Spike: Deleted posts to help himself feel like he was in control of his little world.
A few members of GW packed their bags and went on to different places.

That's it.

Pat

Hi Ron

I've seen your posts on the gardenweb before. I had a beef with Spike looong before this forum ever existed...he was rude and not very helpful in regards to a question I had about posting pics. And all the other stuff aside, to compare ANYONE to a terrorist in regards to the monumental tragedy of 9-11 in NY, D.C. and Pennsylvania over a plant discussion forum is cruel and MEAN. That is an event you should bow your head in sorrow over...not to use to hurl insults. That comment should NEVER have been made in ANY situation. Its disrespectful to the people who suffered such terrible losses.

SO...what I'd like to know is....what kind of CPs do you grow? How long have you been growing them? You seem very experienced. Do you specialize or have a preference to a particular genus?

This forum is about CPs and information on growing them and also about making friends in a community of people all over the world who share a common interest. There are even forums for other types of plants as well. And its open to personal things like ...Fatboy is expecting a new baby...Pyro got accepted into a PhD. program...Ram drives a Dodge Ram pick-up (if i remember correctly)...John has a new baby...Cindy has eaten durians...Jeff has a hedgehog...we all share alot of things!

I have learned a lot from the nice people here and I hope you can share your knowledge and experiences here as well.

Welcome to the forums!

Suzanne

bah! You all are being so reasonable it makes me look bad!
smile.gif

I guess we should move on.

I'll lock the topic at noon. (Barring any reasonable requests not to.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back