What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harvest fruitflys...

Hey guys anyone have tips on how to harvest fruitflys?? I've been harvesting fruitflys in my friends garbage can, but I think the neighbors think that I'm strange or a homeless person!!! The things you do for your hobby!!! I use to walk around my neighbor hood with a flashlight and jar but people thought that I was a prowler or something... This might be a hole lot better...
wink.gif

Hello,
I'm new here and will have several questions to ask later.
I can help you with your fruitflies. I raise them for my tropical fish. I believe it's Petsmart that sells wingless fruitflies. Buy 1 container and your set. Get a few jars. Take a cup of mashed potatoes, a tablespoon of sugar and a touch of yeast. Mix the ingredients, add water to the top of the dry mix. Stir. Add some mixture to your jars. Add a few fruitflies, and in a few weeks there will be tons of flies in the jars. I have sometimes lost whole cultures to fungus, so make sure you have enough jars going incase that happens.

Welcome elgecko!!! Wow seems like you fruitflys down to a tee. That is well explained
smile.gif

Travis

you may need more yeast and sugar to get a good yield, but for a great yield add a lot of frozen fruit mix and blend it. Instead of water use 50/50 water/vinager. this prevents mold and doesn't bother the flies. plastic party cups with coffee filter tops and a rubber band to hold it on.

joe

Here is what you need to do: 1) come to my house 2) bring jar 3) go in kitchen 4) help yourself to all the little buggers you can catch
biggrin.gif

Back