What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UGH! aphids >:(

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello I just bought this beautiful new s. minor x alata it's 20 inches high without the pot its a huge monster plant! But when I got outta the store I noticed it had critters (aphids) so I took it back and asked him what I should buy. We went out back after he got mad the suckers somehow sneaking into his shop and he sprayed it for me with insecticide
smile.gif
and said that should do it. I got home and wiped them off with a washrag but I doubt if they are dead and I see very faint webbing
sad.gif
oh NO!!! I think they are spider mites! so which insecticed is best? I cant dunk it propperly cause it is so big and i want to make sure there are no eggs anywhere. Aside from that oh man I wish I had a camera! Haha you'd all be jealous!
smile.gif
....well maybe

Try Orthene as directed in the bottle for aphids. This is systemic and will be absorbed by the plant thus effective long after it dries on the plant. You can get it at most any H.Depot, Lowes, etc. Inspect every 30 days or so. It has really worked well for me VFT's here in Ga

Good Luck

cool thank you so much! I'll go get some ASAP!
smile.gif

Hey!

I am currently in the midst of a battle of the line type affair with aphids...

They have infected my:

Thai Dragon Pepper
Sweet Black Beauty Pepper
Habenero
Serrano
and Bannanna Pepper plants... along with my mater plant...

Phil and Jeff were down a couple of weeks ago, and I had long ago concluded that my primary weapons, Neem oil and Wintergreen alchohol/water and a dash of soap, was not being very effective... in fact it was blatantly losing... the real issue, is since they are produce plants, I can't use a product like orthine...

And you can be darn sure my beautiful CP's are not coming out of dormancy until those little nasties are all dead... so whats a boy to do?

Phil and Jeff to the rescue! I just ordered 500 Lady Bugs... At Phils Suggestion...

When we were out on my deck looking at the aphis (Phil, Jeff, and myself) we were watching a ladybug chow down on them... I think it ate like three or four in a minute or two...

So, any how, I am getting some potatoe sack cloth, gonna cover all the plants in it for a few days, and let the lady bugs in...

Oh, and you bet your bottom dollar, I am gonna have one evil grin when I do it!

Understand about the produce plants. I don't believe I would like to eat orthene, just use it to kill pests.
Understand that ladybugs generally are not effective for cp's, as in most cases they end up food for the plant:)

ok I got it and did the deed i hope I got the right stuff there was only one type of orthene by ortho and that was a grass one I am realy hoping that was the right stuff I would hate to see this puppy die it would probably break my heart. Hmmm I need to buy a camera!

Back