What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The first battle of the fruit flies

• Thread starter RamPuppy
  • Start date

RamPuppy

At approximately 8:30 PM, in an apartment on the north side of San Antonio, a Human Delivery Unit removed the cover of his terrarium, removed the cover of his fruit fly culture (flightless) and shook said culture over the terrariums inhabitants.... so began the first fruit fly invasion.

The battle was ferocious, the fruit fly hordes ran to an fro, wiggling here, wiggling there, but the denizens of this terrarium were ready.

D. Adalae caught 5 on one leaf in the first pass... D. Spathulata, had 2 in sweet honeyed captivity on the awakening of the morning sun, but by and far the two colonies of D. Capensis were the heroes of the tank. When I woke up this morning.. oh the carnage... oh... the carnage...

Capensis all over the tank are curled around their victims... and the survivors have gone to ground... making the tank their own no doubt, they have no idea that they, and their kids will be food too some day... and no idea that dangers lurk in the soil as well...

muhah hah aha haaa....

smile.gif

hey, verry cool. nice story too!
smile.gif
how about some pictures of the said carnage? my plants are inside and not in a tank so i don't get to see this kinda thing. maybe one here and one there. THANKS!!!
Andrew

"dangers lurk in the soil.."
confused.gif

Hey Ram,
You should write a book!
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Very cool, though. Quite satisfying to see that, isn't it? Like after you cook a big meal, and all your guests have to unbutton their pants!
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Nov. 20 2002,10:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"dangers lurk in the soil.."
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I believe that Ram was refering to his resident Utrics. If memory serves they would be U. calycifida and U. longifolia. Both have fairly large traps and will probably be feasting on fruit fly larvea before too long
smile.gif

That would be correct mr. Pyro!

Feast they will!
smile.gif

My capensis are drooling with digestive juices.. I LOVE THIS.

oh, and no digital camera right now... sorry..

Ram I just love it when you write!
wink.gif
that is too funny!

Thanks, I like to write.

Can you believe my sundews are already uncurling? that was fast!

The rest of the little buggers are shivering with fear in the media...

I thought utrics were aquatic? brief explanation please??

joe

Joesph,
There are two types to the genus of Utics. There are terrestial and aquatic utrics. Terrestial utrics have leaves and roots as they grow in soil while the aquatic species do not have this characteristics.

Epalnts has is just about right but I would like to clarify a bit. Utrics are very diverse having evolved to be aquatic, terrestrial and epiphytic. Most people are more familiar with the aquatic species but the terrestrials far out number them.

For more explaination try checking out the Utric forum
smile.gif

hehh... there is now a dead fruit fly floating in my sun pitcher... as well as a noticeable black mass at the bottom of a brand new ampullaria pitcher... infact, I would not be suprised at all if the amp drew in the majority of the stragglers and slaughtered them...

I might just have to feed them all again, sooner than planned...

I have this neat little culture kit where they just keep comin!

May I ask where you got this kit? I am most interested!
smile.gif
It would be real nice for my Clipeata,and Lowii.

I bought it at the Herp Expo from a supplier... petflytrap is looking at the possibility of carrying them... nothing fer sure yet so hold yer horses and don't get to excited yet...

Back