What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real live cps!

I was up north of here, in the middle of nowhere, access by helicopter spot working on a archaeological dig/native traditional use project last week. Our campsite was beside a beautiful bog lake with big floating shelves of sphagnum around the edges. I went down to take a look and it was covered with Drosera rotundifolia! And later I took the boat out on the lake (yes, it too came in by helicopter) and it was full of U. macrorhiza - so much so that everyone had assumed that it was elodea or some similar pond weed.

So it ain't no trip to South America, but it was still pretty cool. And I now have specimens of D. rotundifolia that are probably hardy to -40 or 50C.

Gracious! -50C? That's one hardy plant! How far north were you (where is "here" in the "north of here" part)?

It's always fun to see things amazing plants in the wild!
biggrin.gif

My goal is to see every native species in my State (MI) 5 down, 11 to go.
biggrin.gif

THat's some excellent work there!!
smile.gif
I'd like to try something like that here, but I think the caymans would get to me before I'd see anything.
wink.gif

Jœl

I got to see lots int he wild on one single lake last summer, myself...
Lets see if I remember them...

U. purpurea
U. vulgaris
U. intermedia
U. cornuta
U. gibba
U. resupinata

D. intermedia
D. rotundifolia

S. purpurea

All on the same lake. Spectacular. It really gives you a differnet perspective on these plants, when you see them all growing together where they belong...

"Here" is Fort St. John, BC - temps routinely go below -30C in the winter, so I figure on freak occasions they would get below -40C. It's a bit colder still ~150km north where the project was. I think it snowed there last night.

Not too many CPs to see around here. I have seen U. minor, and apparently there are rare occurances of U. purpurea (representing the NW limit of its range.) I have not seen any of the native pings.

you didn't wild collect those cps, did you, glenn?
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Back