What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any of you own FrontPage?

• Thread starter Travis
  • Start date
There is copy of FrontPage at work in which I could install to my computer. I was wondering if it is possible to use FrontPage for loading pictures to ptf? If it is possible could you explain how? I do not own a website so I can not actually make one - if you know what I mean
confused.gif

travis

Frontpage is a program to build sites not an FTP loader one
there are lot of FTP programs for free on the Internet(like Wsftp ,bpftp and others) anyway to load any photos to a site by FTP program you need to have an access to it (ip address ,user name and password)
Arie

FrontPage bites! I absolutely hate the program. That programs loves inserting its own stupid junk "tags" into your code. Dreamweaver does a clean efficient job of write html.

I like dreamweaver as well, but frontpage has it's place in the world.

sometimes I have a really hard time getting tables to align properly in dream weaver....

course.. Flash is the end all be all in my opinion.. .flash rocks...

Here in the land of free software I have everything on my computer and I agree with RAM that it's cool to have both Frontpage and Dreamweaver.
Frontpage is a bit over simplified but there is some stuff that is easier to use exactly because of that.

But... for what you are asking I think Arie has hit the nail on the head. Both those progs are for designing web pages not for uploading the pages or pics.

To upload pics to the web you need an FTP prog like CuteFTP or one of the free ones. I used FTP commander for a while and it wasn't too bad, and it was free from Tucows or Download.com.
If you want to be CHMODing stuff on a Unix server then CuteFTP is probably the best but if you only want to upload pages and images, one of the freebie's should be fine.

I have not heard of these before "FTP prog" "Wsftp ,bpftp" or "CHMODing"
confused.gif
. I believe youz are using abbreviations. I am currently working with FrontPage at work. If you want to take a looksE here is the address http://www.bhbi.com/ were I work. It is a consulting firm and there is also a hunting/fishing page with several pictures of me. Here is the list of software I hate the most (I really do not care use the word "hate" but no other word pops up right now) :
1. Alpha V - Honestly, I hate this more then I hate carpenter ants - if you can imagine that.
2. Windows XP
3. FrontPage
I go by the KISS theory "Keep It Simple Stupid/Smarty"

travis

Netscape has a free webpage editor included when you download Netscape 6 or 7 called Composer. I am not sure if its in version 5. Mozilla also has Composer, but it lacks a spell checker.

Travis,

I believe you must be smoking something, unless your a linux junkie, there is no reasonable way to hate XP! It is quite simply microsofts best OS yet, not just from a user interface point of view, but from programming, it's got nice clean code, rarely crashes, and on many systems runs faster than anything before it... it's an awesome OS...

Hi Travis

I only make web pages and things as a hobby (every night until about 2AM) so one of the other guys that plays with computers for a living (Suzanne or Ram) may want to correct or add to what I say here:

When I create web pages I use Dreamweaver and Frontpage and then save them to my hard drive.
When I'm happy with what I have, I connect and log on to my site with an FTP (file transfer protocol) client program such as CuteFTP. Those progs (programs) allow me to see what is stored on my server in one window and then in another window I can see the pages I have created. It appears as if the server is part of my own hard drive and I am looking at both my own hard drive and the server in windows Explorer. I can just drag and drop the new pages into the correct folder on the server. I think the other letters that Arie suggested are just the names of other FTP programs, they usually have names like XXXFTP or whatever.

All the other stuff like CHMODing is not neccessary most of the time unless you want to alter the permission of the folders on your server. If you don't know what you're doing then don't do that as you could be allowing other people to fool with your site. Just forget I mentioned it, sorry.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

Cheers, Troy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Oct. 10 2002,09:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe you must be smoking something, unless your a linux junkie, there is no reasonable way to hate XP![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Rampuppy: I am sorry but that is good come back
wow.gif
wink.gif
. I am not smoking anything - but that would be a great excuse for my lack of knowledge with XP. The reason why it is on my list is the pure fact it is not that compatible with Windows 98 through the LAN (yet). Till I figure out how to make it compatible it will stay on my list of software’s I despise. As I have called Microsoft twice and seems to work fine then in about 3 to 4 days it does not recognize the other computers through the LAN again.

Thanks Fatboy and NickHubbell, that clears things up at least. I will give Netscape try.

travis

If you really want to keep things simple, you can use explorer to upload stuff to an ftp server.

You can also keep it as a favourite in the windows file browser and copy stuff to and from it as if it were a folder on your own computer.

Travis XP is very compatible with Windows 98/95/etc on a network!

I use XP (and love it) and have put it onto the only 4 computers here that have the hardware to run it. The rest are all using 98 and even 95 (my boss is a tightwad and some of the accounts guys are still using machines with 8MB of EDO RAM!&#33
wink.gif
but I have been able to set up all on the network.

98 is particularly easy - make a network setup floppy and run the little setup program on it and it sets itself up.

If you have any trouble making the setup floppy it's not a very big prog - 317KB, send me your email addy (mine here at work is troy@balihaicruises.com) and I'll email you the prog with instructions on how to use it.

Cheers, Troy.

PS didn't know you could do that Dodec, thanks.

i have dreamweaver 4, fireworks 4, adobe photo shop 6, adobe go live, and jasc paint shop pro 7, i use all these programs to build a web site, just depends on what your doing, i think frontpage sucks! its too limited, and it really has no drive for me to use it, ive made 100+ page websites using these programs, dreamweaver4 allows you to do anything, i mean anything you want,have the image software hooked up to it, your unstoppable! these are the best programs ive used
smile.gif

ccrider

OH yeah! dreamweaver has its own ftp uploader, so does GoLive from adobe

OK, first,

As Fatboy said, XP is fully compatible with 98, I have had a 98 system and an XP system running side by side on my network for over a year... flawless communication... I would suspect that either one or the other of your machines has corrupted files pertaining to network sharing... you might want to try re-installing both of the... heck.. bite the bullet and upgrade the other, I assure you, XP is pretty much the bomb in OS's right now. (I know, it doesn't compare to linux.. hush you junkies.)

As for Macromedia vs Frontpage... and frontpage sucking...

I am a macromedia nut, I have flash 5 and the rest of the macromedia suite for that generation... and photoshop, so I am no light weight in this arena, for what I need, Dreamweaver is best... but you miss the point if you try to compare dreamweaver and frontpage... frontpage is for those that are not so savvy, it was origionally designed for ma and pa kettle to put their family photos on the web, or to throw up their small business... not to make huge corporate quality sites. For what Frontpage tries to accomplish, it is a great tool. For more complex stuff, dreamweaver kills the competition... heck, in ease of inserting flash, nothing comes close... but for all I love it, Dreamweaver has it's flaws as well... as I said earlier... sometimes working with tables in dreamweaver is enough to drive one insane... most of the time not... but when it does get finicky, I fire up frontpage, and easily work through it... sometimes simpler, is better.
(Thanks by the way... I try to be fun with my running commentary).

I have found that Frontpage is very Internet Explorer biased, and stuff that it creates can look absolutely illegible on other browsers.

I highly recommend learning the basics of html coding before starting to use a fancy editor - it will make your design more efficient and will help you to fix the quirky things that all wysiwyg editors seem to do.

I talked to one of the Microsoft technicians Wednesday. The problem is fixed for now (key word is "now"). It was fixed once before, then a couple days later it does not recognize anyone on the LAN. I am waiting to see what will happen tomorrow or on Monday. To add to the problem it will not print through the LAN consistently . Since there is no local printer it has to print through the LAN. Thanks SO much for the help and info! Pft is actually a good place for tech support too.
wink.gif

I have a computer at home (duh?). I have Windows ME and it seems to run good *knock on wood*. The only thing I plan on doing to my home computer is to get USB port installed. So, when I do get a digital camera I will be able to post some pictures of my family of course (CP's).
wink.gif
k/d. The sad part it is true to a certain point - I am sure you know what I mean.

travis

How do you go with ME?
I never liked that one.

I liked NT4, 98 and then XP but not a lot else.

Want to try Linux but it's near on impossible to install without the help of someone that knows what they're doing, and that aint me!

i have a compaq presario hooked up to a linksys wireless dsl router with a built in NAT, a wireless ethernet card and dsl hooked up to it all, i use Me, it came with the computer, almost everyone i know has systems with either 98 or XP, XP is the best system out right now, microsoft wont be coming out with a new OS for at least 2 more years(read that in maximum pc)if your at home just doing your thing, go with the home version, if you do business at home or your using a pc at work then XP professional is the one for you, no more blue crash screens. this 16th is my birthday, im getting XP then
smile.gif
only thing im gonna hate, is redoing my pc, tooo much work! if your gonna be able to use frontpage and get it for free, id jump on it, a free web building program, is a free web building program, it did make my first web page look cool...:) ahh heck, if you build a page, lemme know your links, anyone, i love surfing, it'll give me more of a reason if i know its your guys an gals's sites
smile.gif

Back