What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing fruit flies

Any one know about growing fruit flies? I bought a culture about a month or so ago. It was already full with adult flies. I tossed them into my tanks and kept the bottle in case, while sure enough their are hundreds of maggots in it now.  They are in various stages ( some new fruit flies too). They have eaten up almost all of the medium that was in the bottle. I was just wondering if I wanted to keep the culture going what can use as a medium? I was thinking old fruit but that would get mouldy?

mix a few cups of potato flakes, some sugar, and some applesauce. This should be very thick (from the potato flakes).

Then thin with a 50/50 mixture of white viniger and water. Substance should be somewhat soupy.

joe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Oct. 14 2003,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">mix a few cups of potato flakes[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What exactly is a potato flake? Do I take fresh potatos and slice them? or do you mean chips?

Thanks again for the info ,

Andre

NO MAN, Box O' Potato Flakes, Look around walmart.

Heh heh Come visit me when i'm home and i can take you to the plant down the street where there are MOUNTAINS of potato flakes.

Is it really as easy as that? I'm to the point where i want a more steady supply of food for my plants, and thought that keeping Drosophila was harder than that. What has to be done in the way of sanitation?

I raise my fruitflies this way.

1 cup mashed potatoes mix, a tablspoon of sugar and a pinch of yeast. Mix the ingredients, add some vinager (helps to prevents mold) and water. Mix. You might have to add more water or potatoe mix if it is too dry or wet. I myself make it on the dry side.
I then use 20 oz. soda bottles for the cultures. I put some small holes at the top of the bottle, thumbtack. I cut the bottle in half. Place some of the mix in the bottom of the bottle. Tear a piece of paper towel and place in bottle. Cut a small reverse "v" into the top piece. This is so you can place the top into the bottom section a little. I then duct tape the pieces together again. Use a funnel to place some fruitflies from another culter into the new culture. 1 cup of mix is good for 3 20 oz. bottles.

Back