What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible bulb sale?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ June 19 2003,08:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My Yankee family was freaking. One of the little girls said "This isn't mexican food! Where's the Taco Bell?"  so sad.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I hope you were able to convert here to the real deal.  The Taco Bell stuff is ok if nothing better is to be found, but I want the Real Deal.  Where the food is prepared and seasoned just so, not slopped out of a bin sitting in a steam table, where the hot sauces aren't tamed down or served in packets.  The worst affront to mexican food I have seen though was where a local restuarant put beens in their green chile :[ *sigh*.

When I was growing up hear in Beunie, there was a Mexican restuarant north of town run by a family from Mexico.  That is where I first learned the joys of green chile enchiladas and sopapilla drizzled with honey.  I really miss that place.
sad.gif

I am about twenty seconds from going and getting some mexican from a local joint.

Dinner # 1

2 Enchiladas your choice (Green, Cheese, Chicken or Beef, Served with chille, green chillie, or a white cream sauce)

1 Chalupa

1 Puffy Taco

refried beans and real spanish rice.

Always to be ordered with a small bowl tortilla soup, a plate of stuffed and fried jalpeno's, a small bowl of queso (for those homeade chips (which come with burnt salsa, and salse verde) and of course, your favorite sopapilla, smothered in hill country honey.

MMMM.....

course, the sizzling plate of fajita's sounds good too...

everyone should be so lucky as to live in the land of the Breakfast Taco.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ June 19 2003,6:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">everyone should be so lucky as to live in the land of the Breakfast Taco.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
rolleyes.gif
I agree, don't forget breakfast bean burritos, mmm
tounge.gif
wow.gif
alien.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

bean and cheese breakfast tacos / bean and cheese breakfast burrito. Same thing, different name.
smile.gif

I am so in the mood for chips and salsa now!

Never pass up Corn Tortillas and queso at Joe T's bakery, I hope all you people that laugh because we have to put up with 118*F are drooling in a cross-eyed food stupor!
wow.gif
alien.gif
tounge.gif
J/k
wow.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Ram Puppy,  you are soooo mean.  Rubbing salt in my mex. food withdrawal wound.  Oohh! the agony!  Just a bite of chimechonga plleeeeaase!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Gotta tell ya, living in NY near THE city really does have it's good points...weather not withstanding....

I can drive my Japanese car with my Italian wife to a town with an American Indian name, to eat in a Mexican restaruant (which we have plenty of, and some are even good&#33
wink.gif
with one Pakistani and one Polish friend and get a speeding ticket from a Chinese cop.
This really happened to me, actually...accept for the speeding ticket thing....that was a separate incident.

I love a melting pot!
If you really want good eats, NYC is the place ('course, without a Zagats, you could wind up with really unpleasant eats, too).

Hmm... i thought the chalupa was a Taco #### invention?

My gf a few years back was 1/2 Mexican, and she made the best guacamole EVER.

Anything that claims to be Mexican without cilantro is a disgrace. I love cilantro! One of the best dishes i've ever had was a fish taco from a place rated best in the west by Sunset magazine. It had a cilantro sauce that was to DIE for.

/me looks in the cupboard... mac&cheese, spaghetti, mac&cheese, spaghetti, Ramen...

Nooooooo.....

Chalupas are standard fare, and suprisingly, except for their sauce, taco bell does a acceptable (Though not nearly palatable) imitation.

Cilantro... mmm... anyone know what you call cilantro once it goes to flowe? anyone? *A PLANT RELATED QUESTION!!!*

I don't know if it's hard to find up there or not D, but next season if you want me to send you some of my cilantro plant, I'll cut a bunch out of the pot and send it your way. (the pot just re-seeds itself every year.) Grow your own.

I would re-phrase your point to "Any SAUCE that claims to be mexican without cilantro isn't really mexican" there are lots of great mexican dishes that don't have it in there.

MMM... I think I am going to make some homeade Pico De Gallo when I get home.

Recipie: (Mix proportions to taste)

one sweet onion
2 or 3 small serano peppers (Wash, microwave in water 45 seconds)
cilantro bunch
1 tbsp oil
Roma Tomatoes (or another acceptable PASTE tomatoe, if it's watery it aint no good.)

mmm yum. good eats. (You can substitue FRESH jalapenos for the serrano if your a light weight. But do NOT under any circumstances use pickled stuff like Old Elpaso. Ugh.)

And you know, the whole point of bringing up mexican food was an inside joke between Lynda and myself. When I met her for the first time in person a few months ago we went to a great little mexican food joint, and she had enchiladas with a custom made white sauce.
smile.gif

That's it RamPuppy, I ain' readin' this thread no more. The withdrawal pains are just too much!!!!!!!!!!!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Well maybe a peak or to just to make sure no moer recipes get posted.
rolleyes.gif

I can be so mean sometimes!
smile.gif
sorry!

You know, armed with the proper recipies, one must never go without a weekly meal of mexicanna greatness. Make it yourself! There are great recipies all over the web. And you CERTAINLY know how to grow stuff, so you can probably get a serrano pepper plant going to supply your pepper needs.

Made in San Antone.. By Folks who know...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ June 19 2003,8:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cilantro... mmm... anyone know what you call cilantro once it goes to flowe?  anyone?  *A PLANT RELATED QUESTION!!!*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Me, Me, I do!
smile.gif
(I think)
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
Coriander (sp?)
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I definitely need to check out some of my cooking oriented link for recipe's. Then there's cleaning up the kitchen. Can't stand cooking in a cluttered kitchen.

you get first prize lithops! which is a "WOW~ you get first prize!"

Anyone here ever gone to Chevys?
tounge.gif

I'll take one of each plant for sale (except for maybe the orchids) !
biggrin.gif
Is there a way I can order in advance, since I might be moving sometime around July?
confused.gif
Thanks!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Coriander. I knew that. Another one of those tropical/local name things is that yuca is cassava is manioc is tapioca.

That's another favorite of mine - tapioca pudding. Fried yuca ain't bad, either, if you have an iron stomach. Vigoron is good - but now i'm really getting off topic, because that's a Nicaraguan dish.

If you think good Mexican is hard to find, try to find a fritanga outside of Miami.
sad.gif

Will all the members or previous customers get the email advising the sale?

7 days left , i can't wait til the sell begins . since when did this topic become one about mexican food , i'll take a a chicken enchilada and so tequitos thank you
tounge.gif
, lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (phlitrapguy @ June 19 2003,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Guys,

Just FYI, we're going to have a sale for the 4th of July.  A REALLY BIG CLEARANCE.

3,000 sarracenia
1,500 flytraps of diff. varieties
lots of orchids
unique terrarium / vivarium plants
bromeliads

AND... I'm selling off some of my personal collection mostly nepenthes and drosera.  

We're redoing everything around here and need lots of space.

BUT... before all that, I'm getting a new commerce system in place (replacing Oracle) and we're redoing the website to give it a cleaner look.

SO!  Keep your eyes out and watch for the email I send out!

-Phil[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
wheres the bulb sale ? was'nt it suppose to be on july 4 and today is july 7 .

We're running a little late on starting the sale...we want to get all caught up before we start that madness
wink.gif

And yes, Phil says he will be notifying all prior customers by a mailing. But keep an eye out on the forums too. We'll let you know on the forums when it officially starts. Thanks for being patient everybody!!

Back