What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Tank Users

They're actually from Norfolk Island in the South Pacific(they were discovered by Captain Cook), so they are hurt at temps below around 40F, unfortunately. However, people in the southern states could probably grow them outside if they were very careful to respect their care requirements. I'm not sure how I'm going to grow mine inside for more than a decade or two, because grown inside they can still supposedly reach 10ft. uh oh
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 11:24 am on Jan. 1, 2002)

Whoa! 10 ft INSIDE! Whew! I think I would have to cut a hole in my 2nd floor of my house!

Hi Chris

Yes, I got the tank set up! I've spent the last four days doing nothing but running around buying plant stuff and looking for pots. I repotted the pigs, moved baby CPs into new pots, repotted some African violets and orchids, got some seeds started. Now I've got dirt, bark and moss all over the kitchen floor. Needless to say, the house didnt get cleaned. lol oops! Somehow the plants always come first!

I had a struggle getting the lights high enough to allow the tank to go in but finally managed it. Got the electrical cords straightened out. It's about 90% done. I kinda forgot one important thing...I never got the glass shelves cut for the larger size. So I still have the same amount of shelf space as the 10-gal.! duh! Sooo...that means yet another errand out to get those and then take all the plants out again and set it up. I ended up using all lava rocks just because the orchid bark I bought turned out to be not what I wanted. (I hate bags of potting media you can't SEE through). I topped the lava rocks with sphagnum moss and added water. Temps and humidity aren't where I want it yet but its only been up for a day. I still want to get a heat mat of some sort. While the tank is heavy, I can pull it out to get into it which is the important thing. Now I can buy more plants! YAY! BTW...I bought two tiny bags of lava rocks for 2.99 each...then found a huge 40-lb. bag for just 3.97! I wasted a good &#366 on those little bags. But now I got LOTS o' lava rocks! Anyone need lava rocks?? lol

I only paid 4.50 for my Norfolk Island pine. :) Everyone is getting rid of them now. And if they get to 10-feet indoors, I don't know it cause I've killed every one I've ever had! lol They need a lot of light and not to get dried out. You also need to rotate them so they don't lean towards the light. Mine is only about 1 1/2 feet tall and I have no idea where I'll put it if it gets big.

Anyone who likes plants other than CPs and likes BIG...try a splitleaf philodendron. I have a beauty thats got a 6-foot spread of leaves. It has grown in leaps and bounds since I bought it. Has a great "jungle" look and takes up a 1/3 of my living room. I would love to get another one if I could figure out where to put it! It goes outside in the spring/summer. Its kinda hard getting a 6-foot plant through a 2 1/2 foot door....

Thanks to everyone for the tank ideas!

Suzanne

Ok...major correction here....I did NOT repot PIGS!! :shocked: I repotted my pings!! lol Hmmm...that might be interesting...Pot O' Pigs. :biggrin:

My pings have been pigs with those little tiny soil gnats lately...
Glad to hear the tank is coming along nicely!
Are those philodendrons also called lacy tree philodendrons or _Philodendron selloum_? I've got a book with some nice pics of one...if only I had more room!
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 1:45 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

i have my original flytraps in there 3 ince pot with there waterming trays,what im wanting to know if its possible to put them in a 10 gallon tank with a top light.would they do better in that kind of enclosure because it gets really hot here where i am and i have burned a few plants
sad.gif
also what kind of light would i need for the 10 gallon aquarium? any help here would be appreciated
smile.gif

jacktrap~

hey jacktrap, If your going to put your flytraps in a terrarium, there are several important considerations.

1) you can't have stagnant air, flytraps like a nice gentle air movement around them, this can be solved by getting a little computer fan, or a tiny fan from radio shack and putting it inside the terrarium... (Or you can stick you hand in there every hour or so and move it around! lol
smile.gif

2) Your going to want to use flourescent lights, and as MUCH as you can get on the tank, I think it is impossible to get to much flourescent light, a 10 gallon tank should be able to take one double fixture, and a single fixture of appropriate size (Mine are 24 inches I think, on my germination tank, and I have 3) You can also use Compact Flourescents, though I have no experience with this, and it is my understanding that the base of this bulb get's hot...

That's pretty much it... on all 10 gallon tanks and smaller, if they are sealed, keep them out of direct light, other wise it will just get hotter and hotter in there...

that's all I can think of about now... anyone else?

RP's got it.
Be aware that if you're in the northern hemisphere, it is winter and your flytrap should now be in a cool, dark dormancy. Unless your environment has very low humidity, you should not keep the tank completely sealed. Flytraps don't appreciate ultra-high humidity!
Definitely consider adding reflective material such as aluminum foil, mylar aquarium backing(best), anything aluminized, or even white things like white cardboard. Most art stores sell highly reflective "contact paper" that is adhesive and relatively easy to stick to the tank glass. Also consider adding adding reflective material to the tank sides. You could even make a removable reflector that attaches to the front of the tank. A good method is taking something rigid like cardboard(cardboard is really priceless to me--it has so many uses!)and, say, sticking silver contact paper onto one side of it. You can then tape this rigid reflector(black electricians tape is best)onto the front and easily remove it whenever you just want to gaze happily at your plants. I can't sufficiently stress the unimaginable effectiveness of reflective material at keeping light in the tank--where it belongs. Lighting will be less of a problem if you know you've at least got sufficient reflective material. Good Luck!
smile.gif

also, anyone else??
Chris Roy

if your flytraps are brand spaking new from the store, then don't worry about dormancy until next year, they are probably fresh from tissue culture, and will be fine throughout the summer... but that is only for this year!

If your plant has ever been up and growing for more than say, a 10 month period, your doing something wrong... you need to put it to sleep. But it is OK, the FIRST year, to skip the dormany period, as it probably does not need it, not only that, you can get it in step with all your other plants in one easy step the next fall.

Hi J.T., for VFTs you might consider getting rid of the tank all together, Just suspend your lights 6" to 8" above the plants and put an aluminum foil skirt around the lights to act as a reflector. The foil allows very good air circulation while your water tray provides humidity, and this setup allows easy access to your plants, just flip up the front peice of foil and there they are.

That'd be simple and perfect, unless you live in a clime with incredibly low humidity, in which you would require an enclosure.

Back