What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Tank Users

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi

I desperately need to get my 20-gal. tank set up but I have been procrastinating for one main reason. I am afraid that the tank will be too heavy for me to move it once its set up. I need to be able to slide it out and away from the lighting to get into it.

My current little 10-gal. is set up with a layer of rocks and layer of long-fibered spaghnum moss over that. This has worked pretty well...tank humidity around 80% and I haven't had any problems with it. But with the rocks, the tank has some weight to it. So I know if I use the same set up with the 20, its probably going to be waaaay too heavy for me to slide out from under the lights. The tank alone is quite heavy (for me anyway...I'm a weakling compared to some of you 6-foot+ giants out there). :)

So I was wondering what the opion is regarding the rocks. Are they necessary? Would the tank do just as well with only a layer of moss? It would certainly be MUCH lighter without the rocks. But if rocks contribute significantly to the evaporation, then I'd hate to not use them. I have some of my orchids sitting in trays with rocks but I don't have to move those trays like I will this tank.

Anyone out there using a soil-less tank have any thoughts on this?

Would really appreciate any suggestions.

Suzanne

Well I use just plain ole soil for my current terarrium. I do use granite rocks for looks as these are not harmful to CP's. But I think the sphagnum would be just fine on it's own as it does float on the water to create a mat of itself. Of course it depends on what your growing in the tank. You don't want CP's that want it slightly drier as the moss eventually will become water logged near the bottom of the tank. Soo what plants are going to be in there? Later.

If your plants themselves are not too heavy you could try using pumice or small lava rocks to reduce the weight. Some small plastic decorative marbles like they use in vases at the florists and craft shops would work as long as they did not release anything into the water, and would reduce the weight of the water in the tank by displacing it instead of absorbing it like the above. Hope that helps.

good idea greencrunch!

PAK, I have no rocks other than decorative in my tank... so I don't think you need them, though I don't see how they would hurt. just make sure they are not sedimentary (A little vinegar drop will do, sedimentary rock will fizz a little if I remember right) the idea being that if it is sedimentary, then minerals will leach into your substrate... you should be OK though...

In two of my tanks..I have just a small layer of rock...then it is covered with live moss...then the plants...

I wanted to put something in there because I just dump water and allow the moss to draw it up.

my &#360.02

I don't see why you couldn't use something else that someone suggested...or no rocks at all...
I would just be careful that you don't make everything soooooo wet!

Yeah,if ya want stuff wet you better just grow S.Purpurea or S.Psittacina or Aquatic Utricularia or even some wet loving Pinguicula.

Nep G....its all drosera in there...currently in the 10-gal. I just want to transfer them to the larger tank (need more space!) I don't really have a need for the higher humidity with the other CPs I have so they are in other locations (outdoors, terrariums or just in pots indoors). Currently there are several spaths, a nidiformis, a capensis, an aliciae and a capillaris. I've taken the binata out. I'm still fighting a battle with that one. I want to move all the drosera to the larger 20-gal and use the 10-gal for propagation and seedlings. I don't want to use soil...prefer in this instance to use just the moss. I do have my d. adelae in a terrarim and my nepethes...which is growing like a weed and scaring me. It stayed tiny for sooo long and then BAM...its leaves have tripled in length with larger pitchers. That little bugger must have 10 pitcher on it.

Greencrunch...the lava rocks might work. The ARE lighter. As for plastic...I would think that would be too smooth get much evaporation. The graininess of rocks help to absorb and then evaporate the water. Granite is good for that with its coarse surface. Its only one layer of rocks in there... a rough quartz type...kinda chunky pieces...not the real small little white marble chips you see sometimes. But even a small amount makes quite a difference in weight. I could barely carry the bag I bought.

I was afraid with no rocks at all the moss would lay on the bottom right in the water and rot. With the rocks, the moss is slightly elevated and gets a little bit of air circulation underneath. There is not a lot of water in it...just enough to evaporate off the rocks and moss. I wonder if some type of chrome or plastic, raised grid (like a baking rack) would work to raise the moss up some without the rocks. Hmmmmmm. I just know if I line the bottom of the 20-gal with the rocks I have, I won't be able to move it. I wonder...is the evaporation of water off a grainy rock more or less that it would be with plain sphagnum. Anybody know??

Must have this worked out by New Years Eve weekend...I will have a 4-day play period to work on my plants and spiff them up...and get some seeds started for the spring. I think I'm going for some sunflowers this year! They are so cool!

Thanks for the ideas ...you guys are great as always!

Suzanne

I know Suzzane. I was only suggesting that if it was going to be totally wet you would be better off with the CP's I mentioned. Anyways I have grown Living Sphagnum Moss in a large plastic lined washtub for a while over the sumer and it expierenced no ill results of rotting or decomposing at the bottom of the container. Why not use perlite? Extremly light and you could block it from view by putting moss against the wall then the perlite. Also it floats so you could see a very visable water table. Well it was my suggestion. I have used granite this whole season and it is great! Well hope this helps. Later.

Suzanne,

I know its been said but lava rock works great because it is significantly lighter that conventional stone. I use it instead of perlite because it has almost exactly the same qualities and isn't glaring white. Another thing you could try, and I'm suprised it hasn't been mentioned, is orchid bark. This will hold water well, provide lots of surface area for evaporation, allow good air flow and doesn't rot into nasty goo.

Pyro

I didn't think about that, but come to think of it, my substrate is heavily supplied with orchid bark...

As far as your evaporation rate goes the amount of water vapor being evaporated is largly dependent on the amount of wetted surface area, so moss would probabley have an order of magnitude more ability to humidify your tank, but if the humidity is around 90% anyway then your air is saturated and you may not need the greater efficiancy of the moss. The other big factor is air movement. Play with your setup some, watch the changes closely and see what happens.

Happy Holidays All;

Ok, the inventor in me can't resist my 2 cents worth. How about finding a low plant stand on wheels (I've seen them at Walmart and such.) You could probably make your own with a piece of ply wood and short wheels. Put your tank on it then all you have to do is roll the tank to move it. Although I suppose that depends on the surface you are keeping the tank on and if it has the room to roll.

The plastic canvas sold in craft stores could also work. it could be cut to fit the bottom of the tank, then use a stone at each corner to hold it up of the surface just a bit. Your moss on top of that would still allow air flow underneath.

Good Luck,
Linda ö¿ö

Hi Linda

Happy New Year! I would love to use a cart on wheels but my problem is space. While I have a pretty large house, its chock full of furniture...and a lot of French doors which eat up wall space. I'm lucky I could cram a plant stand into my living room which gets a fair amount of southern sun. So all my outdoor plants are winterizing in there (plus the indoor plants)...looks a bit like a jungle with the monster split-leaf philodendron. I think I'm going to try either the lava rocks or a mix of those and orchid bark. I will have four days off to get all my plant projects done so hopefully I can complete setting up the new tank. I am concerned about access into it though...and lighting hook-ups. I'm getting quite a tangle of cords.

You have some great ideas, Linda. :) Thanks!

suzanne

Happy New Year and Plant Project weekend to you to Suzanne,

I know what you mean about space. I have only one West facing window that is decent, which is in my living room. I have that jungle look too. I also use a shelf unit with lights in another room, but hubby gets uptight every time he walks by it. Need to find a way to hide the cords so he doesn't realize just how many lights are plugged in LOL.

Good luck on your project, I love long weekends to give me time to play in the dirt. I also love walmart that gives me the reason to buy more plants
smile.gif
The lava rock and orchid moss mix should work great and look good too which is a big part of the reason for plants.

One more thought though, how about turning the tank on its side with the opening facing out. You use a piece of glass to cover it if I remember, you could use little clips to hold the glass on. Then no moving at all, just open the front to get to the plants. Would the tank be big enough on its side?

Have fun. Linda ö¿ö

Yes, Linda, I am looking forward to "plant weekend". :) Of course, this is kinda ignoring the fact that my house is a wreck and I haven't raked the leaves up out of my yard yet. But I also have some seeds I want to get started now so I have a good jump on spring planting outside.

The tank-on-the-side idea is a thought for maybe a future tank, but I don't think it would work for this one. I got this one not only for more space but for height. Its a 20-gal. tall, not a long tank. I wanted the height to accommodate some of the taller sundews like my binata. I use glass shelving plus "risers" to raise the smaller plants closer to the light. I can set the tallers plants lower so they have room to grow. At least this is my theory! lol Only time will tell how happy the plants will be. Also my tank is on the lowest shelf on my plant stand. So...on its side, it would be hard to get into it...without laying on the floor. 'Course I could probably mop up some dirt and dust bunnies that way. :)

I will start my weekend off with shopping for some plant supplies I need (good excuse to browse some garden centers). I should refrain from buying any more plants....but..."My name is Suzanne...and...I am a PLANTAHOLIC." :) I just bought a norfolk island pine that was on sale 50% off. And I have plans for more plants from Phil and Jeff of course. My excuse there is I need to support Exotic Gardens so they can keep the forums running. hehe

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep the ideas coming!

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne,
It's Sunday, and I'm wondering how your tank setup worked out. Did you still use rocks? Orchid bark? thanks
I just got a Norfolk Island Pine too...I hear in the wild they can reach 200 ft. in height! :shocked: I'd have trouble with that in the bathroom it's growing in!
smile.gif

Chris

DE a Norfolk Island Pine Tree? If you don't mind me asking where and how did you get it and how much did you pay alltogether for it?

Hey NG,
I just bought it at a local nursery. I see them everywhere in supermarkets and nurseries-they're very popular and widely cultivated, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. My pine is actually a clump of five 2 feet tall in a 6 inch pot; it cost around twenty dollars. You could get a much larger specimen for about fifty, or a smaller one for maybe ten. good luck
Chris

Hmmmm... Cool! Could you grow them outside in NY State year round? Or aren't they that cold hardy?

Back