What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp\'s At Lowes

today i went to my local lowes,and there they were all that were leftover were 6 vft's dried up and dying.so i purchased the 6 remaining ones and i got them home last night and right away used the old watering tray method which is the best way for cp's.and this morning the wilted traps that were flopped over on the side of the pot had regained there posture and were looking better.i felt soo bad for the poor things there starved for water and no sun i just had to grab em so no i have total vft's 6 heheh.i hope they make a full recovery too
smile.gif

Good for you... feels good to save a plant or two doesn't it?

I just saved some plants from lowes earlier today.
I got some sort of Drosera...gonna have to search through the drosera discussions to see if i can find out what type.
I also got a Sarracenia purpurea. Kinda excited about that...its my first Sarracenia.

Felt kind of bad because i would have bought every CP they had. Whats up with them not taking care of them?
#### YOU LOWES!

Josh

Lowes is horrible about taking care of all their plants. But I'm glad you performed rescue!

suzanne

Terrible suzzane?!??! I would have gone more along the lines of horrible! Like a wasteland of mistreated plants!! They are soo bad that they still have CP's that are dead or near it and from LAST year for sale! I went over and only the tropical ones are doing well as the temperate CP's never get dormancy and the soil is like a ROCK so dry I am surprized the Nepenthes are still living! I think they may be living off of the moist air though. They even have a DEAD Darlingtonia for sale that is totally JET BLACK and has mold on it! How stupid and bad displaying!

Should we buy them, then? I posted on this the other day, and in my case I left them there to die because I didn't want to finance this "effort."

--Steve

If you want to buy them, buy them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Dyflam on 9:18 am on May 13, 2002
If you want to buy them, buy them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I really should search the posts before I stick my two cents in. I see that this has been the subject of argument already.

--Steve

I prefer to call it a subject of differences in opinion.
smile.gif

i bought all that they had and that was 6 vft's and if they had more i would have rescued them all.i love cp's and makes me sad to see them in that kind of condition
sad.gif

( I made this topic in the forums already )I saved 9 cobra lilie that were floating on water and now they are doing great , they're flowering .

It's a plot to make people feel bad about the condition of the plants and buy them up to 'rescue' them.

T

lol Tony. :) I just rescued a dendrobium. I spoke to the manager though and got it for half price because I told him I didn't want to pay &#3615 for a half-dead, rock-dry orchid. I took the baby home and soaked it to rehyrdrate it, repotted it and hopefully it will put up new canes.

Lowes wastes SO many plants.

Nep G....i said "horrible"....not terrible. :biggrin:

Suzanne

YOu know Steveo maybe right,

Maybe we shouldn't 'fund this effort'

Maybe this can force them into taking better care of their plants if no one buys them.

Just a thought.

I can't tell you how many times I grab plants b/c I know that they will end up dead.

But if no one bought them, allowed them all to die, and lose all of their money that they put into them, it might either:

1) change the way the take care of plants ( ALL plants )
1) make them quit carring things they can't take care of.

I saw the other day Lowe's stock is up...I guess them can't kill lumber and paint
smile.gif

Quote: from jaie on 6:45 am on May 23, 2002
YOu know Steveo maybe right,

Maybe we shouldn't 'fund this effort'

Maybe this can force them into taking better care of their plants if no one buys them.

Just a thought.

I can't tell you how many times I grab plants b/c I know that they will end up dead.

But if no one bought them, allowed them all to die, and lose all of their money that they put into them, it might either:

1) change the way the take care of plants ( ALL plants )
1) make them quit carring things they can't take care of.

I saw the other day Lowe's stock is up...I guess them can't kill lumber and paint
smile.gif
[/quote

That's how I feel about it, I think. I think that problems with businesses are most effectively solved by not doing business. It's not like anyone at Lowe's can be taught anything, since there are no permanent employees nor any community responsibility there.

The price, I think, is one factor in this issue that doesn't get mentioned. There is no arguing that these dried out, light-starved plants are very cheap (&#362-3) relative to other sources. But I think that kind of saving only makes sense when you are buying them in huge quantities. I don't mind giving PFT a little more money for the maybe dozen plants I can support.

Steve

This abuse isn't limited to commercial enterprises. I visited a conservatory in Rochester NY that had a CP display. One look and I went to find the manager, and told him the CP were far too dry and needed watering badly. "I know" he replied. I felt like saying "Then give me the watering can and I'll do it" sheesh! BTW the Nepenthes was doing fairly well, as were the temperate Butterworts. We're talking about peat substrate as dry as an unmoistened bale! (shudder) The Droserae were pathetic, grrrrrr!!!!

I suggest we all buy stock in Home Depot and Lowes then go to there annual meetings to tell them to take better care of the CP's.  While doing that make some money off of them too...:biggrin:

(Edited by Travis at 2:48 pm on May 23, 2002)

I work at a Craft/Garden center, Very martha stewart, called White Rose... They have a medium sized indoor plant section, and obvioulsy a huge lot of outdoor perrenials and annuals... Anyhow, it is not exactly the easiest thing to keep indoor plants watered as you have to use the watering can... Obviously, I would do it, even if i wasnt punched in... There are other important things to do tho. I know that when i'm stuck outside doing carry out (i'm the dirt b*tch who puts your soil in your trunk), its quite busy out there, same as when I have to sweep, or replace bought flowers outside... Theres alot to do, and in a place as big as lowes (or in my case, home depot, as i am from canada), it might be hard to get time to do this. I never get to go "huuuuuum....." and crack my knuckles. It's hustle hustle ALL the time, even if it doesnt look like it...
sad.gif

i have enlisted my friends to keep a eye on lowes and let me know if he see's any more cps in need.i am working on an adoption plan for all the plants i got from them so that i can nurse them back to health and find good homes for them along with teaching people how to grow them and how to take care of them.so far 3 of my closest friends have like 3 of my plants and they are doing well and i even told them that pft.com is a invaluable resource for all cp' lovers.
smile.gif

Wow! Y'all must be rich to get 6 or 9 CPs at a time from Lowe's. I would do it if they would give them to me cheaper, but the employee didn't seem to care if I bought them or not. Maybe they get all the leftovers free (after they are all dead?)...

Back