What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking pictures of webs

As you have seen my eariler post about breeding fruitflies, I finally notice some things around it. Spider webs in strands, but today I noticed something else. A completed spider web, its just bueatiful. Like one of the hand drawn webs. I wanted to take a few fotoshots of the web but need advice on how to do it, cause the webs is transparent to the camera.

I tried misitng the whole place until I saw a shape scurrying around. IT WAS THE SPIDER. If you know, I'm scared of spiders this one is HUGE!!. ANd its webs are enormous, ITS A MONSTER!! I'm not sure what to do now, should I kill the spider or let it be, I'll freak out, the spiders scares me to death. It built two completely huge webs in a matter of days. Soon my belcony will be over comed with webs, and I AM TERRIFIED OF SPIDERS!!

Lighten up a little, they won't hurt you (Unless you see it is indeed a black widow or brown recluse, but you'll know easily) I'd say just leave it alone, and sooner or later it'll leave your balcony... Just a nature lover speaking his mind... GOOD LUCK!! (sorry I don't know about your picture question)
confused.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hi Daniel,

Destroy the webs and it will move on. They are wonderful creatures, but can cause problems. My son if very allergic to almost all spiders so I have to keep them fairly clear of the house.

hehe, I was too scared to go near the web. But in the morning today a miracle happen, a bird ruined the web so now the spider should move on =D. Hopefully, if it starts building another web I'm afraid I think I have to move =D.
tounge.gif

Hey, yeah the spiders that have built webs around my neps are awsome,... mist the web and if the spider comes scurrying out, dont worry, it wont hurt you, just dont get to close to it, when u mist it its awsome cus it outlines the whole web

Don't know what it's like where you are, but if you go out into long grass in the early morning when there's lots of dew you can see all the spiders' webs all over the plants - that is really beautiful. How about you post some pictures of your giant spider? There is an out of print book called 'Life of the Spider', or 'The Spider' by John Crompton (possibly 2 books, I have only seen the first) - read that, then you will cease to be scared of spiders (or at least, like them better).

Giles

I took my camera out and a long stick. Tried poking around everywhere for the spider, but I guess the spider have his home. All that remains of that spider existence is some broken webs. I can't beleve they make bullet proof vest out of spider webs. Doesn't look that sturdy to me. =(

Of course spider webs don't appear that strong - the threads are extremely thin. Apparently a web scaled up to strands of finger-thickness could catch a landing jumbo jet (Meet the real Spider-Man).

Giles

Back