What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything i feed my plants turns to fungus

all my plants are in a greenhouse and I feed them with dried insects . whats wrong , the food turns to fungus , it happens with my vfts , my sarrs , my sundews , cobra lily , and my butterworts . whats causing this , whats do i do ?

Can you be more exact in what kind of fungi? Try to remember that not all spiecies of fungi are harmfull and that a powerdry like white fuzz is normal to find on insect exoskelitons. Aside from that, I would imagin your humidity is too high.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 30 2003,1:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try to remember that not all spiecies of fungi are harmfull and that a powerdry like white fuzz is normal to find on insect exoskelitons.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I disagree Darcie. Most fungus is devastating in CP collections and should be controlled with removal of the infested area and/or treated with a fungicide. But, some fungus is very helpful, such as the relationship with white pines I belive, the fungus lives adjacent to the roots and releases nutrients for the tree, and in return the tree gives the fungus a home. In CP's though NO FUNGUS is benifical.

Goldtrap, sounds like you have poor air circulation. Also i find low light is a factor for fungus development.

Agree with you NG,

Goldtrap I have fans in every room of my house, and they actually harm my flytraps when they are in the open, I am forced to grow them in a tank, this however took them to the other extreme, stagnant air, and they were pitiful looking.

I added an airstone w/ pump ( you can get in the fish section of any pet store) and put it in a basi of distilled water, the stone keeps fresh air coming in, cools the tank, and keeps the humidity high.. higher than it needs to be for sure, but hte plants seem to like all the air movement.

Hope this helps... remember also... soft bodied insects, 1/3 the size of the trap is ideal, any larger and it's just to much food.

No KNOWN fungis is benifitial. Their are plenty that don't care about plants, and last I heard, we have yet to find a terrestrial plant spiecies that does not work with at least one spiecie of fungi partner. It's just this is a new area of studie and most of the fungi aren't even named yet.

Yes, fungi can be dangerious, but I've never seen that power stuff do anything but break down exoskeliton of dead bugs, and occationally hang out on long dead leaves. Heck, it probubly is shairing the bug skeliton with the plant anyways seeing as it seems to hang out inside traps.

Granted, I'm talking about the type found in VFT's, but I can see if showing up on other plants if you have VFT's in your collection.

I do agrea with the stagnent air/ low light though
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Mar. 31 2003,04:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Agree with you NG,

Goldtrap I have fans in every room of my house, and they actually harm my flytraps when they are in the open, I am forced to grow them in a tank, this however took them to the other extreme, stagnant air, and they were pitiful looking.

I added an airstone w/ pump ( you can get in the fish section of any pet store) and put it in a basi of distilled water, the stone keeps fresh air coming in, cools the tank, and keeps the humidity high.. higher than it needs to be for sure, but hte plants seem to like all the air movement.

Hope this helps... remember also... soft bodied insects, 1/3 the size of the trap is ideal, any larger and it's just to much food.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey, thats a cool solution to the stagnent water problem.

actually some fungus is benificial , some cacti such as cereus need it to turn into cereus monstera and other fungus too are helpfel . nopw about ym problem , yes i know the over feeding vft rule so i guess the problem is because it is too hot and humid in my green hosue ( my greenhouse is the type that nick hubbel and cp2k have that they brought form big lots ) . i keep the greenhosue out doors so

btw , the fungus looks like a fuuzt cotton .

hmmm, it's a mold then.  Probubly not as dangerious as some as long as it is kept in check (mold always prefers dead stuff) Try putting in a fan and see if that helps.  Otherwise, I recomend an air filter run on high for a few weeks.  That did wonders for my dorm room, lol.

Oh yah and tou can git rid of each tuft of mold with some rubbing alcohal driped or dabbed on. You may also want to stop feeding for a few months so no new spoors can be made. The key to fungi control is to keep it from reproducing while eliminating adults.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No KNOWN fungis is benifitial[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Careful, my sweet. Fungus is regularly spread on citrus, avocodos, roses, etc.. for better growth. Without mycorizal fungus, the world as we know it would cease to exist.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ Mar. 31 2003,7:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No KNOWN fungis is benifitial[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Careful, my sweet. Fungus is regularly spread on citrus, avocodos, roses, etc.. for better growth. Without mycorizal fungus, the world as we know it would cease to exist.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
oh hee hee, I was refering to the comment above mine that no fungis was benificial to CPs, lol. Sorry, I should have been more clean. Trust me, I am a big fungi fan
smile.gif

Back