What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A basic question about cps

wow.gif
Hey Everybody,its me the Evil Spider Hunter! Well,as I already told you guys and gals my specialty is invertebrates but I have really been getting into the CP hobby now! I ordered a CP starter kit and I also have a Red Dragon VFT and a Nepenthes coming from California Carnivores as well...I cant wait till they get here! I had a basic question about CPs that I am sure is a total newbie question (
confused.gif
sorry...) but I was wondering - do CPs exude a chemical attractant to lure insects to their deaths? is there a nectar of a sorts? I was wondering what would make the insects gravitate towards these plants! also do you need to feed your CPs or can they be put outside and allowed to "catch" their own food?
alien.gif
I am sorry for asking such basic questions but I am doing my best to get up to speed...I am reading 3 books at the same time on CPs and I have another book on the way called the "Savage Garden" so hopefully I will be a bit more knowledgeable in a couple of months!!!!!
tounge.gif

The Evil Spider Hunter

Hey Evil SH,

Yes, they do exude a chemical attractant! Sarracenias in particular do. Not only does it attract them, it intoxicates them. I can go out on my deck and watch goofy, drunk flies play around on the pitchers, so oblivious I can practically touch them.

CPs don't need much in the way of food, but if you put them outside (provided they can take the weather, and most can), they will catch plenty. You can also just grab a bug or two and feed them yourself. My experience is that the Sarracienias and Droseras are the best insect catchers.

Capslock

Oops, nevermind, I didn't notice capslocks post, it was exactly like his lol

Spec,

Yeah, I don't remember the title of the book, but it seemed like it had tons of technical information.

I should probably have mentioned to Evil SH that it's probably not a good idea to move a Nepenthes around all that much, and it's better to bring the bugs to them. Every time I move my neps, I almost snag a pitcher on something.

Capslock

Hi ESH

Never apologize for asking questions. That's kinda the point here.
smile.gif

I knew you'd get hooked! Happens to everybody. You will enjoy The Savage Garden...its kinda like the CP bible although there are lots of other good books too. Sounds like you are well on your way to CP-land. Putting your plants outside is a good idea...they will catch plenty of food on their own. Its fun to watch the flies buzzing around the VFTs and if you're lucky you will get to see the traps snag one. I saw a fly wander down into a s. purpurea...never to be seen again.

Suzanne

Back