What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coverting rat "cage" to terrarium

Hello all,

Seems like my parents are sick of the lack of windowsill space...they have suggested I convert one of my 2 rat "cages" into a terrarium.
I'm not planning on this seriously, I do love them ratties and would like another someday. However, I do have 2 tanks.....

The tank has a mesh screen on one side and a removable glass lid on the other. The top that holds the lid and mesh to the glass sides is a very hard plastic, but saw-able. The whole top does not come off, just the glass lid section.

Do you believe that it would be possible to covert this into a plant terrarium without a ridiculous amount of work or money? I don't know if the lights would fit underneath the lids (melt/fire hazard?) or if I'd have to cut off the top (or just place it above). Any advice? And...don't mind the rat supplies in the pics!
wink.gif

ratcage1.jpg

ratcage2.jpg

The terrarium measures thusly:

Outside:
Length 20.5"
Width 10.75"
Height 12.75"

Inside:
Length 19.75"
Width 10"
H 11.5"

Glass Lid and Screen:
10" x 10" each

Growlist (any or all can be put in there)
3 lowland neps - approx 5"w x 8"h  including pot
3 full-sized Mexican pings 3"w  x 4"h including pot
1 full-sized n.capensis 6"w x 12"h including pot ('cause it's flowering)
1 med-sized d. binata dichoforma 'giant' seedling 4"w x 6"h
2 full-sized vfts 5"w x 8"h including pot
6 pots of seedlings (drosera, vft, pings) 2" - 3" pots

Heh heh, it'll be a "ratty tank" the back pane has been broken (thanks to my dad) so there are cracks and it's been glued back together. Might have to put in some kind of background.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle
biggrin.gif

What would need to convert it? Looks like it has glass sides....right? the top wouldnt matter. you may want to cover the screen half with something. But otherwise it looks kinda like a fish tank. You would just need lights above it.

Seeeeee....someone answered your question.
biggrin.gif

suzanne

I would agree it looks like it would work fine. Have a small piece of 1/8" thick plate glass cut to fit over the screen area. Should only be a couple bucks at the hardware store.

A couple 2ft fluorescent tubes and your all set.
T

That's what I told her, but the advice had to come from a mod for her to listen  
mad.gif
 j/k  
biggrin.gif

oooo..guess what I'm thinking now? Mini ultrasonic humidifier (approx $25) on top of the screen, flowing down. Maybe a computer fan if that doesn't help it get enough circulation. My house stays at about 80% humidity anyway, but what's the fun without fog? Wooden frame that lifts off the top to hold the lights, two cool, one warm, or two Grow-lux. Think that'll do it?

Back