What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type of Sand to use for soil mixes?

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
What type of sand is best to use for carnivorous plants? I have read about silver sand, but I cannot find any in this area. Can catcus and be used if its washed before using? I was going to use perlite, but I didn't want to use it to start seeds.

I am getting ready to plant some D. auriculata seeds.

Thanks,

Nick

The type of sand that you use has to be very unreactive stuff, otherwise (from what I understand) you risk neutralizing your acidic Cp soil mix. Beach sand will definitely not work since it has peices of seashells and coral, which are composed of calcium carbonate, and these pieces will definitely not get washed out with water (I tried it once with no success). Your best bet is to find silica sand which is really stable. I don't know about cactus sand, but an easy test to see if it's ok to use is to pour vinegar into a bit of the sand. If it fizzes, throw the stuff out the window.

Jœl

A good place to look for coarse silica sand are swimming pool supply businesses: this sand is used in pool filters.

Walmart sells a finer grade marketed under the name Playsand, but you should do the check as mentioned to be safe.

Always wash your sand until the water appears clear before use to remove micronutrients that will encourage algal growth. This is especially important when using it in a mix for sowing seed.

Back