What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am the croc hunter

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So I was out walking my dog last night when something small and dark went zooming by me. Naturally I gave chace and found myself holding a young (I think it was young) opossum by the tail. First off I have to say that this was really cool for me as I have never seen an opossum before. Second, I must admit I am confused by the term 'playing 'possum' because this little bugger was more active than my cat when the vacuum is on. He was hissing and growling and dancing all around. Eventually he calmed down a bit and let me pet him. Then I let him so and he waddled up a tree. All in all it was quite an experience.
smile.gif

I've seen one only once. It was still somewhat dark out, early one morning, and I was outside. I noticed something walking across the road, and went to take a closer look. It turned out to be an opposum, larger than a housecat. Only live one I've ever seen. However, if you see one, especially during the daytime, do not go near it, they can carry rabies (that's a big problem around here anyway). I can see why picking it up by the tail might enrage it also, I'm glad you weren't bit.

my dog brings one to my parents doorstep about once a month... same with 'dillos (armadillos to the non texans out there)

lol. i had an experiance like that once. i was outside in the street and all of a sudden a possum went runnin out into the road. it was a younun so i chased it into a bush and it thought it was safe, but i surprised it and grabbed it by the tail. it didnt give a fight, but he didnt play dead either. he just kinda tried running in the air. it was really cool tho. my friend had a possum that was potty trained....that is untill my friend held it. it crapped on my friend. quite entertaining really..lol

I grabbed a baby possum by the tail, he promptly bit me, ouch! Man do they have big jaws, and TEETH!
wow.gif
He was cute though, kept him a few days, things didn't work out so I let him go.

I lived in Misery... uuh Missouri when I was a kid.  One night my dad caught an adult possum in an old laundry basket.  It was pi....  uhm..  pretty mad about it.  My dad let my brother and I look at it then he turned it loose.  The babies may be cut but the adults are plum ugly
tounge.gif

Back