What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
All help wanted to save these plants.

I recieved 4 plants for free today from a place selling a few CP's. They do not look to good. I recieved some sort of Trumpet, 2 Pygmy Dews, and a Butterwort.

A few things I need help on is this:
The trumpets pitchers are still green at the base and the rhizome, but the tops are all brown. Should I trim off these pitchers?

The sundews are few and far between a large mount of dead ones. Should I try to pluck all the dead dews out of the soil? And can any one identify them and give me good advice on growing them. (My 1st dew I had, I kept in full sun outside. Kinda had a melt down. My new one grows out front in a more shaded area.)

Hopefully I can get them to come back around. Flushed there soil 4 or 5 times with r.o. water, bet they were watered with tap water.

Picture here: http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/help.html

Thanks for the help.

Hey,
Ya, for the sarracenia (trumpet pitcher plant) i would trim the dead pitchers off, i can't tell what it is. For the pinguicula (butterwort) looks like P. Primuliflora. The sundews aren't a pygmy form, but a form of Drosera Spatulata. I would transplant the live ones to a different pot away from the dead ones. Hope they last,
Kevin

Yes, I agree with Sarrceniaaluver. The sundew: I was thinking more along the lines of an aliciae, but I guess it could be a form of D. spat...

Good luck!

***scurries off to watch Tremors***

The sundew does look like D. spatulata, the Ping could be P. primuliflora, and the Pitcher Plant is hard to tell, but I have seen many S. rubra sold in those pots. Flushing the pots was a very good idea, as many places water with tap water that also contains fertilizers.

The sundews and butterwort look promising. I would place the plants in a area protected from direct sunlight. The butterwort will do find in partial shade when fully recovered. Transplanting the sundews to a new pot can also be benificial. After the sundews recover, they can gradually be moved to higher light levels. I grow my D. spatulata under lights and also in a West facing window on my back porch.

To help the Sarracenia recover, you may want to put it is a partly shaded area to help reduce the stress on the plant until it starts to recover. I am currently doing this was a very stressed S. rubra that has started to produce more normal looking pitchers after two weeks.

My S. rubra was part of a dying mini bog collection ( not mine ). It came with some D. spatulata and a dead Ping. I transplanted the S. rubra to a new pot and also transplanted the D. spatulata to new pots. Some of my D. spatulata have died while others have recovered.

The above is what I do when I obtain stressed plants. My method is not guaranteed to work for everyone.

Thanks for all those how gave me advice on rescuing these plants.

Here's the update:

The ping I was never worried about. It was just small from the start. It's growing great, in fact it sent up a flower last month which after a few days trimmed off to help conserve its energy. Yesterday it sent up another flower. I'll trim this one off also in a few days.

The Sarracenia's seems like a very tough group of plants. I was not to concered about this plant because of the rhizome and lower pitcher being green. It now has 2 pitches and starting a 3rd pitcher. If anyone would like to attempt to identify this plant here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/help.html
I believe it to be some kind of rubra, maybe gulfensis, all though the lid does seem to be unduate, maybe when older? I do have a rubra ssp. rubra and mine grow's perfectly straight.

The sundew's, well they do not like me, any of them. I tried to replanted the one pot. The sundew I guess was attacked by mold. It turned all brown. The other pot I removed all the dead sundews. It seems to still be trying to recover. There are also a lot of small dews starting to grow. I have moved the pot to an area were it recieves more light, not the hot afternoon sun. The sundews since I have had them almost never produce dew. Hopefully it will pull through. I would like to grow a sundew but have no luck with them. Anyone know of any sundews that I can grow here in PA zone 6 with a full day of sun beating on them?

Pictures of the updated plants: http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/help.html

looks like an alata or a rubra. Good job on bringing them back!

If you went to the page I made, there's a picture of the condition I originally recieved them in, bad shape.
I really wanted to buy the sar. I took it up to the counter and asked what the best price they could do on it because of the condition it was in. The lady at the register called the greenhouse manager and he met me at the other carnivorous plants they had. He then said he would not sell it to me, needs to be in the trash. He got a box and placed the sar, butterwort, and 2 sundews that looked terrible in the box. Then he gave me the box and told me good luck trying to bring them back.

that was nice of him!
biggrin.gif

Back