What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High mineral content and dishwashing soap

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Ok, I was watering a few pygmy dews, a Heliamphora, 2 Darlingtonia, S. flava seedlings, Nepenthes x Ventrata and a Dionaea tonight. I ran out of water as my first jug was about empty to start with. I remember a gallon jug in our kitchen that I "thought" contained rain water. I finished up my watering and looked at my plants. I was just a bit upset when I saw bubbles and suds everywhere. I asked my wife about the jug in the kitchen and she said "Its being cleaned and is full of soapy water". Ok, this is not good.

Now, I have never water with tap water nor have I ever watered plants with dishwashing liquid. At this time I am extremely tired and will probably drop the plants if I tried to rinse them with rain water. Has anyone else done this or does anyone know if the plants will survive this one time error?

I don't think one watering with tap will kill off the plants. And I think I read somewhere about using soap to kill off aphids.
I can't say for sure, but don't give up on them yet.

I guess I was looking for someone to say things should be ok. I have been a bit stressed the last few weeks due to lack of sleep, irritating customers who push me too far, and overall unhappiness with a few things. This was just another bit of stress added to my load. I will be checking them in the morning and will probably clean the water saucers and flush the soils just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
smile.gif

Hi Nick,

The big question is, what brand. No, you will be fine with the minerals, but some brands use very harsh detergents. I hope it was Dawn. It is used in all sorts of rescue operations because it is not harsh, but very affective.

Your plants should be fine, but if the soap was too strong it should not do much more than burn. I have washed plants with Dawn soap and water to cure many ills, but I have never used it on a cp so I can not say for sure.

I should add that I feel for you. You have had a couple of bad weeks
sad.gif
Hang in there buddy. We care
biggrin.gif

Jeez, I think I'd rinse 'em out pretty good right away. Even if you have to use tap water.

Capslock

Nick,
Oh, I've done similar things before! I was worse, though....I used the miracle grow solution (that's for the OTHER house plants) by mistake!!!
wow.gif
wow.gif

Well, after a thourough flushing, I had no casualties. I bet yours will be fine with a little TLC.
smile.gif

I think they should be ok. The tap water won't hurt them and probably not the soap as it is used often as "natural" insecticide.

I recently did a similar thing. I poured what I thought was distilled water on a sundew and then I noticed a fragrance. Turned out to be Nature's Miracle for cleaning up dog accidents! I flushed the pot repeatedly but...it died.
sad.gif
It was an unidentified sundew from the greenhouse here but it did have a "gift with purchase" in the pot...a little capensis that probably came from a stray seed. At least it wasn't something really rare.

Good luck...I hope your plants survive. I think they will.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back