What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tarantula

hey guys,
i bought i chilean rose hair 5 days ago...
i named him KWIJIBO (quee-gee-bow) a north american balding ape with a bad temper (according to bart simpson).

but anyways, i was just wondering if you guys know how many times a spider molts? when they molt? and if there are signs of molting?? and how do you guys find out the gender of the spider?
confused.gif

a spider molts its whole life i heard. Signs: a bluish look to it, reduce of eating, more secreative behavior. Females are generally larger then males. Good luck

The pedipals have spurs on them. These are the reproductive organs... The pedipals are the things that are practically legs, but short and stubby, and they eat with them... RIIIGHT beside their mouth...

Hey Jiana,
Congratulations, good choice you made for a tarantula. Most Chilean Rose are adults when sold. If your spider has hooks at the end of its pedipalps, its a male. To really be sure, you would have to pick it up and look at its underside or examine its molt. When they're young, they molt often. An adult may molt about once a year. Mine molted several times.

Ok OK ok..

so... you buy a bug... the kind that most people feed to carnivorous plants...

I'm so confused.

Though, I did think about buying one at one time... I dont' think I could stomach the thought that it could bite me
sad.gif

phil,

i have a 5 inch tarantula...

i think it's beautiful and i like holding it (yes a lot of people think i'm a nut)

there are baby spiders in my backyard they're really small..those are the ones that i feed my plants.

ooh..!!! im also planning to buy a black widow, does anybody have one??? just want to know your experiences with them.

Jiana, why would you buy a black widow? Don't you have any in the backyard or garage? I find tons of them. They make awesome pets, and fascinating! They can take down anything you throw into the enclosure. If you need some tips, i'm the guy to ask. I've raised them from spiderlings for years, at one time, i believe i had 20 jars of widows. Its fun when they have babies too. Just don't get bit
wow.gif

i dont think i have black widows in my backyard or garage. the only ones that i see all the time are the great white knee looking spiders (very small though).

how big does a black widow get???
can i put 2 black widows together or should i follow the "dont put 2 spiders together in one container" rule??

Wow, you have the white knee tarantula? That's one cool spidey. No, you can't put 2 widows together, you'll just end up with one
sad.gif

Female Black Widows only get about a 1-inch long at the most and the males are really small about a 1 or 2 cm. I remember seeing them in California under wooden benches. If it was me I would not put the Widows together.

That is cool you have a tarantula, jiana54.  When I was young I had a choice between buying a scorpion, tarantula, or a snake. I chose the Gardner Snake and named s/he Killer, had the snake for about 9 to 10 years.  I loved it.

Travis

i want to buy a snake, but then i really dont have a place to put it if it gets bigger.  plus, the snake that i want is a little expensive.  i want an albino burmese python.  the store sells them for 250 dollars

yay! arachnids!
we don't get black widows in australia but the next best thing:
the redback spider!
they look just like black widows. used to keep a few... lots of fun.

I now have two scorpions and a huntsman spider (featured in arachnophobia - the hybrid types, not the queen)

where can i buy a black widow???

gherp.com sells all sorts of herps and arachnids for cheap. Try it, its grrrrrrrrrreat! PS: yes they do have black widows.

For anyone who's thinking of a snake, go for it1 They make great pets, well the small ones do though, if you want to start out, try a California Kingsnake or a corn snake. If you want to start with a "big Boy", try a ball python. Make sure all the snakes you buy are from a respective captive breeder.

Bugs is my thing so i'll give you some help here.
The hooks (tibial spurs) are found halfway up (or down) the front pair of legs on a male.
Some of the 'adult' chillis sold are actually sub adults and can still moult adult later.
Adult T's moult approximately once a year (unless it is a male and then once it moults mature, this is when the spurs show, it only has a short time to live, roughly a year).

Ok, so this isn't a Chilean Rose, but it is easy to take care of.  I got this Curly Hair as a spiderling, about the size of this letter o <==  Hard to see, but he's munching on a cricket.

curly_hair.jpg

DreamScape, you have the funnel web spiders in Australia!! Have you seen any of those around your place? My sister was in Australia for about two months living in Tombaromba(?) teaching to the little Ausies
smile.gif
. She was teaching and saw one in the sink of the teachers lounge. I would love to visit some year to see all the wildlife.

travis

they attacked me!!!!!!

kwijibo and caputski keeps attacking me.
every night, i kinda hold them but for the past two nights, they have been crabby. the attack!!!! does anybody know why??? should i stop holding them???

I want a pet bug.... Preferable scorpion.... Heeheehehe...

An emperor scorpion would make an excellent pet. You could even use sphagnum for the substrate
smile.gif

Back