What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technically which is best?

I was just wondering which type of water is the best filtered, RO or Distilled. I have always used distilled until today I found a grocery store across town with RO water at $0.39 not bad eh?
John
biggrin.gif

nahasapeemapetilon,

I don't think either one is better than the other. If it was me I'd get the RO 'cause its cheaper. I get distilled water at 72¢ a gallon.

Well i go with RO as it isn't 100% free of dissolved solids but there is like a pinhead of solids in RO water, or not even that, and this benfits the majority of my collection, nepenthes. Nepenthes need a tad of nourishment unlike most other CP's liek Saracenia and Dionaea but equally ALL CP's go for either water but if your a freak about water liek most CP people are go with distilled to be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA extra extra safe.
tounge.gif
RO is my choice though as I own a system!
smile.gif

I think its usually the quality of either system. I think that aside from the build of of nasties in the pipeworks after the water is cleaned, RO has a lesser chance of being quality, as some filters may be more effective than others...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nahasapeemapetilon @ Oct. 20 2002,6:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was just wondering which type of water is the best filtered, RO or Distilled. I have always used distilled until today I found a grocery store across town with RO water at $0.39 not bad eh?
John
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
there both practicly the same. I get RO water for 30 cents a gallon
tounge.gif

Spectabilis73

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 20 2002,7:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">nahasapeemapetilon,

I don't think either one is better than the other.  If it was me I'd get the RO 'cause its cheaper.  I get distilled water at 72¢ a gallon.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How did you get his name spelled correctly?
biggrin.gif
lol
biggrin.gif

They are really about the same. Both force H2O into a state that removes it from all other compounds so the only way you get mineral in them is from the storage equipment and such. It sort of bugs me that they sell it to drink though cause it sucks human bodies dry of minerals
confused.gif

There are no ill effects from drinking RO or distilled water.

RO will vary in quality depending on many factors so you have to be careful that it is good quality. Another place to check might be a high quality pet store. Sometimes they sell pure water for people keeping sensitive fish/coral etc.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 22 2002,09:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are no ill effects from drinking RO or distilled water.  

RO will vary in quality depending on many factors so you have to be careful that it is good quality.  Another place to check might be a high quality pet store.  Sometimes they sell pure water for people keeping sensitive fish/coral etc.
Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LOL, Who told you that?  The very coment defies the logic of physics.  You might as well say soda pop has no ill effects.  Look, do you know what osmosis is?  Read up on it some time and you'll learn why and how it sucks minerals out of your body (or rather, affects the ablity to absorb minerals).  I do agrea with you on the rainwater thing, polution has really screwed it up for use on cp
sad.gif
 ... hey, I bet a dehumidifyer could supplie water if it was kept clean enough and then the water boild.  I'll have to try that this summer
smile.gif

Darcie... I am going to be nice here despite your rude comments. I have gone through years of biology schooling thank you very much.

Osmosis of minerals does not occur through cell membranes as cell membranes are selectively permeable. Meaning they can can control the flow of minerals (and other compounds). Water such as RO, distilled etc.. will not cause the minerals in a cell to get sucked out by osmosis. In fact cells are capable of transporting minerals etc in and out of the cell in an opposite direction to osmosis pressure.

Tony

Darcie, have you ever looked on a bottle of Dasani water? It is RO filtered and sold as drinking water. BTW, here's a site worth reading FYI......RO FAQ

BTW, here's a quote from Dr. Barry Meyers Rice.

Incidentally, have you ever heard the urban legend that you should not drink distilled or RO water because the "water is so pure that it osmotically disrupts (explodes) the cells in your throat?" Snicker snicker. (My species believes the dumbest things sometimes.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 22 2002,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie... I am going to be nice here despite your rude comments.  I have gone through years of biology schooling thank you very much.

Osmosis of minerals does not occur through cell membranes as cell membranes are selectively permeable.  Meaning they can can control the flow of minerals (and other compounds).  Water such as RO, distilled etc.. will not cause the minerals in a cell to get sucked out by osmosis.  In fact cells are capable of transporting minerals etc in and out of the cell in an opposite direction to osmosis pressure.

Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sorry, that wasn't ment to be rude. Let me change that post, it reads wrong... Anyways, I know how cells work and such, lol! I was refering to robbing of minerals, not blowing up of cells. ROFL, I've never heard the blowing up cells one though, thats funny. Naw, seriously, I ment it pulls minerals out of certain areas and reduces mineral absorption in the digestive track... but now that you mention it, I should check into it some more as I'm going off of my Mom who is going off of my Grandpa who is a OD.....Cell go boom *giggle*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 22 2002,7:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie, have you ever looked on a bottle of Dasani water? It is RO filtered and sold as drinking water. BTW, here's a site worth reading FYI......RO FAQ

BTW, here's a quote from Dr. Barry Meyers Rice.

Incidentally, have you ever heard the urban legend that you should not drink distilled or RO water because the "water is so pure that it osmotically disrupts (explodes) the cells in your throat?" Snicker snicker. (My species believes the dumbest things sometimes.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
confused.gif
yah, okay... that site is on how plants use water. I've read it.
smile.gif
it's good for CP's cause it makes it easy for them to absorb the water (same for human, but our cells don't like it and spend lots of energy pumping it out again). I'm not saying RO is bad, I'm saying it's not the best idea to inclued in your uh... diet? is that what you would call it, lol, unless you take a mineral supliment
smile.gif
People like minerals and "washing " it all out can be a problem.

Darcie

Very pure water (distilled or Reverse Osmosis) does not rob you of any minerals, or anything else for that matter. The reason, like Tony said, is that the plasma membrance of the cells lining your digestive tract is selectively permeable. If the cell membrane didn't have this property of selection, minerals would diffuse to the hypoosmotic solution of very pure water in the digestive tract, just as you say. However, since the solutes in the body can't pass the plasma membrane, water moves into the body, diluting the fluids therein.

Jœl

EDIT: Also, the notion that drinking pure water is "unhealthy" is incorrect. Drinking water with high concentrations of disolved solids can increase the chance of getting kidney or gallbladder stones.

All right, why would they even seel RO units as DRINKING water units for home use if the water was going to incendently harm your body? I own an RO unit hand have been dirnking the water it produces for about 1 year and a half now and let me tell you I have felt the best I have in a long while. I would much rather drink RO water (even if it DID rob your boddy of minerals) than drink the village crud that comes out of the faucet which is more harmful (if RO was) as it has dissolved Chorline gas in it which isn't the best for you. After you take a shower in my village the bathroom smells like a pool as the chorline is so potent. So don't tell me tap water is good for you and RO is bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 22 2002,4:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All right, why would they even seel RO units as DRINKING water units for home use if the water was going to incendently harm your body?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Not the best argument NepG as they sell cigarettes and we all know how good those are for us. LOL
tounge.gif

Mindmaze has it pretty much correct but he falls a little short, all cells have the ability to osmoregulate (not just intestinal epithelia.) By diffusion and facilitated transport, cells control the concentrations of their macro- and micro-molecules within them. Drinking water (or any other fluid for that matter) will not greatly affect these concentrations (and about the only reason I know this garbage is because I just had a section on the genetics of cellular osmoregulation.)

I beg to differ Pyro.
smile.gif
The argument is in my view, good as we KNOW cigaretscan kill you and hurt you BUT we KNOW RO won't hurt you and we sell the systems. SO yeah it's ironic but we sell it because it is GOOD for you. We sell cigarettes because the tobbaco CO's are worthless jerks that just want thier money.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mindmaze has it pretty much correct but he falls a little short, all cells have the ability to osmoregulate (not just intestinal epithelia.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

hehe

Sorry pyro, I guess I wasn't too clear in that sentence.
tounge.gif

I just didn't emphasize other cells because Darcie was talking about absorbing minerals. Technically speaking though, I didn't write that only the plasma membrane of digestive tract cells are selectively permeable, so i'm not wrong!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

hehe

Back