What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technically which is best?

You's guys rock... I love the scientific jargon.
biggrin.gif

Want a beer Dyflam...

We can have a few and watch the comments fly
smile.gif

I think I will have another... care to join me?
wink.gif

I thought this was a CP Forum. Shouldn't we concentrate on how this relates to CP.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy these debates, and hearing the many different arguments for and against purified water as input for the human/animal body.

I would, however, like to have an interjection from time to time that relates this back to CP.

[BTW, lol: I've been drinking mostly purified water, though not exclusively, for more than 30 years. When I began purifying my own water for use on CP and orchids I discovered that it tasted wonderful so I started drinking it. If it kills me, then so be it. I am rarely ill, and have had few health problems in the majority of my lifetime. I don't know if I can relate my water drinking habits to my health, but I know if it isn't broke you shouldn't try to fix it.]

Due to my preoccupation with CP I learned how to purify water and some of the ins and outs of water purification. I have assembled several different systems. One system I have, which I will utilize soon, is capable of producing 10,000 GPD of RO water. I plan to use that in my greenhouse when it is completed.

I thought I was on subject... spring water, hops, barley, and a little fermentation... gulp, gulp, gulp... aaaahhhhh.
smile.gif

Sorry PingMan, just a joke.

My real opinion... distilled is as pure as it gets... if you have the right distilling plant.

Mmmmmm... moonshine.

That's okay.

This discussion is actually pretty cool and water use is definitely related to CP, as this issue is rather central to the cultivation of CP and just about any other living creature on this planet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PinguiculaMan @ Oct. 22 2002,7:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One system I have, which I will utilize soon, is capable of producing 10,000 GPD of RO water.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Glad I won't have the water bill for that system!  
biggrin.gif

You are quite accurate, especially here in the desert where water is at a premium.

Good thing too that I only need to operate it on an as-needed basis and after the system is complete and operational any "waste" water from the RO process will be collected in an underground storage tank and distributed via irrigation system to the other non-cp plantings on various areas of the property.

Mindmaze,

You are correct, I misread your post. Blame it on my brain being fried from doing gene sequencing all day.

I like Jeff's idea of a beer. Beer is good for you, it has salt and protein and sugar. Everything a growing body needs
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Oct. 23 2002,10:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mindmaze,

You are correct, I misread your post. Blame it on my brain being fried from doing gene sequencing all day.

I like Jeff's idea of a beer. Beer is good for you, it has salt and protein and sugar. Everything a growing body needs
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I hate what booze does to people, but I'll keep my mouth shut. Anyways... what are you sequencing
biggrin.gif

Okay, logic running full speed, you guys make more sence, my own logic makes more sence, and the info I had can go into the trash bin cause it don't match eather (I know plenty about how cells work, I just had this faulty data bit in their). So anywho, yah uh RO is probubly just fine cause rain water isn't 100% pure eather (even befor industrial revolution) and that worked for the plants
smile.gif
I used distilled untill just recently, eh whatever, I got to go to class.

I'll drink my R.O WATER because if it means I have to drink lead and chlorine along with the 'good' minerals, then I can do without it.

Besides, R.O. isn't completely void of these things, it varies with the quality going in. This is from the pros who installed it. My R.O system is connected in which the outlet is through plastic lines installed with the system. They don't use your pipes.

Distilled is probably safer for your sensitive plants because it is more reliable. RO systems work great but require maintenance and monitoring. Source water quality, prefiltering, pressure of the system, type/quality/age of the filter membrane all determine what the quality of the RO water is. If your running an RO system you need to pay attention to it and monitor it. Even under the best circumstances the RO membrane will slowly degrade and the RO water along with it. In many areas of the country where water is metered and cost alot, a deionizing system is cheaper for larger scale production. These systems if prepared correctly will give water nearly as good as distilled.
Tony

I think you can also hook up a deionizing unit to your RO tank and have it further filter it there.

The system I stuck together presently is like this:

Tap water TDS = 300-400 ppm-->

5 micron sediment pre-filter -->
activated carbon prefilter for chlorine and chloramine -->
Thin Film Composite (TFC) R.O. membrane -->
Mixed bed de-ionization tank -->

Final product water TDS = 0 (no measurable ions) 18 Meg Ohms

Years ago I discovered how corrosive this water can be to ordinary solid brass fittings. . . ate them away in less than 1 year.

erm yah... to fancey for me. If plant is so week that itty bitty badness=death then plant beome casualty of unatural selection, lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Oct. 25 2002,8:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">erm yah... to fancey for me.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It may be technical Darcie but it is worth saving an expensive plant's life. The excess minerals in the water wouldn't kill even an unhealthy plant off right away it would be at least a month or so depending on the concentration of the TDS in the water before the minerals built up to danger levels in the soil.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 21 2002,6:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are no ill effects from drinking RO or distilled water.  

RO will vary in quality depending on many factors so you have to be careful that it is good quality.  Another place to check might be a high quality pet store.  Sometimes they sell pure water for people keeping sensitive fish/coral etc.
Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
be very carful when drinking ro, airborne bacteria can infect it and make you very, very, sick, maybe in the hospital!
sad.gif
IF you don't cover and refrigerate it, but if not refrigerated and/or covered, it dosen't affect the plants.
smile.gif

oh and it can infect it cause there is no clorine!  

(sorry about my spelling, guys)  

I drink ro and disstilled because californias tap tastes like (I used to live in colorado, so I'm going to say) colorados toilet water! (if you lived in oregon, you would say oregons toilet water!lol

Spectabilis73, could you try to group your responses so we do not have to read 3 seperate posts? Thanks.

Yah, well, a whole lot of people us RO and rain water without problems and I'm not to worried about it, but thanks anyways *I wish this topic came up befor I got a RO jug

Back