What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you get started in c.p.s.

• Thread starter AK47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
years ago at a gun shop that i use to go to there was an old man who had vfts. there so when i seen some at k mart i got one it did not last long so the next time i went back to the gun shop i asked him if i could get one off of him he gave me one it lasted about a three weeks so the next time he gave me info. on vfts. the next three i bought off of him i still have them thay are about 6 years old now
since then i have got many more +3 from pet vft.

when i was 11, i got a vft at Fred Meyer's, it lasted about a week, then it died, well last summer i went to Vermont, and found some wild sun dews, that made me want cp's, so when i got back, i got a vft (remember, im 13 now) so it lived for about 3 or 4 weeks, then i got some info on Cps, and i got a S.x Mardi Gras, then a little more, a little more.......and here i am today with:

S.Flava:
1.Heavy Veined
2.Rugelli
3.Typical

S.Minor:
1.Typical

S.Psittacina:
1.Typical

S.Leucophylla:
1.Typical
2.Tarnok

S.Purpurea:
1.Purpurea

and an unidentified (it looks like a minor x psittacina x minor)
            and one Cobra Lily

There was a topic like this a couple of weeks ago...

o  well i just joined a few weeks ago and was hoping no one else did it
so any how what is your story
NATHANIEL/DEMI
IQ =146-BLA - BLA SO WHAT AVERAGE

Hello, I just brought up that topic again, soo you could see it...actually, there are two other topics like this one

I started in jan-feb. 2002. We had moved to califonia for about 8 months then, and the dsl didn't work in alot of town, including my house. so when we went to the library to go get books, we also went on the internet. one time I had something I wanted to search on google, but I didn't know what, it was kinda in the back of my brain...hmmm....."oh yeah, CARNIVOROUS PLANTS! so I searched, and PETFLYTRAP showed up! so my dad got me a flytrap, then I got EVERY book on cps at the library and read each like 5 times!, (after alot of "please PLEASE! ok I didn't go please Please!  ) and then a month later while he was away he got me a heliamphora! Thats all I needed to get hooked   I got a darlingtonia, a red dragon flytrap, and the red flytrap is dead, (eaten alive by fungus nats! then I saved two flytraps, two neps, and like 8 adelae in one pot, now one of my "rescued" flytraps is my best after being dead!     then for my birthday (mine was on a wednesday, so we went on the sat. before my b-day, which was somehow the same day the BACPS meeting was at his nursery! I got a bargen on a giant 20 in. tall, 2-3 in. wide sarracenia for $35.00. (before I continue, I just want to let you know I wanted just cps for my b-day, and I got just cps! I got some more sarras, a giant red-green dragon flytrap, a ventrincosa and  some other plants. then at the next BACPS meeting...I'll continue later, I got to eat and one of my fingers hurt from typing AND from being bitten hard by my pacu! see ya!
                       Spectabilis73    

--------------

SO NATHANIAL-DEMI YOU HAVE BEEN KILLING PLANTS FOR YEARS HA HA JUST KIDDING

Ok, so now you know my story
smile.gif
. I haven't killed a plant in the past 2 of 3 years or so. Don't think I'll ever try Darlingtonia again
sad.gif
. I can also add one bladderwort, 3 more nepenthes (6 more ontop of that next week, and 14 more by Christmas
biggrin.gif
), and one Sarracenia (seeds/seedlings soon). By Christmas the total will be 59 different forms of cps. I really hope you don't think I'm braging. I'm just exited about things to come
smile.gif
. Ak47, do you grow any carnivorous plants (cps) beside venus flytraps?

hi nathaniel thanks for the reply
no all i have are vfts.
but i am thinking about trying some nepenthes
or some others that dont need dormancy
good luck with your new plants

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Dec. 07 2002,06:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when i was 11, i got a vft at Fred Meyer's, it lasted about a week, then it died, well last summer i went to Vermont, and found some wild sun dews, that made me want cp's, so when i got back, i got a vft (remember, im 13 now) so it lived for about 3 or 4 weeks, then i got some info on Cps, and i got a S.x Mardi Gras, then a little more, a little more.......and here i am today with:

S.Flava:
1.Heavy Veined
2.Rugelli
3.Typical

S.Minor:
1.Typical

S.Psittacina:
1.Typical

S.Leucophylla:
1.Typical
2.Tarnok

S.Purpurea:
1.Purpurea

and an unidentified (it looks like a minor x psittacina x minor)
            and one Cobra Lily[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You mean the gardens?!! I must live by you!

I am a freak, theirfor, I am attracted to freaky things. LOL

A few years ago I bought a Venus Flytrap at a Grocery Outlet store. I took it home and decided to transplant into a bigger pot...with regular potting soil
sad.gif
Then I proceeded to fertililize it with beef broth...I think you can guess what happened!
After it's death (murder?), I became obsessed with getting another one, and making it live this time!

Hey,
Darcie, where do you live? There is only a few Fred Meyers that I know of and i have looked every place I go, including out of state areas, well I have seen a couple vft's at freddy's and what looked like an S. Rubra, but it was like dead
sad.gif
sad.gif
confused.gif
, they need to know how to take care of cp's ooooo i have an update too,

S.Flava:
Heavy Veined
Rugelli
Typical

S.Minor:
Typical

S.Psittacina:
Typical

S.Leucophylla:
Typical

S.Purpurea:
Purpurea

Sarracenia Hybrids:
S. Mardi Gras
S. Rehderi x2
S. Catesbai

Pinguicula:
x tina

Darlingtonia Californica:
cobra lily x2

Drosera:
Capensis x2 (well the second one is on the way)

Back