What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish food

well, no wonder the flytrap trap rotted!!! did you soak it in distilled water for an hour before usung it? If not, that is the problem!  
biggrin.gif
now you can uncross fish food pellets!

darnet, clicking on iB Code doesn't work!
mad.gif

Update! Well, today all the traps are done digesting and open except for the large green dragon VFT's trap that is starting to rot because of the fish food pellet. The small green dragon VFT's trap that I fed the flake to is open, but fungus is starting to rot it since I didn't crumble the flake into powder before using it. Stupid me!!!
tounge.gif
The common VFT's trap that I fed the dried bloodworms to is open, but it's completely brown and dead. ***sigh*** But there's light in this hole of darkness, too! The purpurea that I fed the milk to is going into another growth spurt! Just a couple days ago, a cute lil' new pitcher popped up!
smile.gif
The new pitcher grew half an inch in three days!!! So, I'm convinced that the milk is a cause of this, as it was the first time I used milk with this plant last year. Anyways, a new field of experiments will start today. New chart:

Betta pellets: S. purpurea
Crumbled up fish food flakes: large green dragon VFT

Oh yah, the fish food pusher for Neps would be me, lol. It's awsome isn't it? I also use it for my baby sundew and my VFTs that skipped dormancy.

So far, I've had success with:
Betta Bio Gold
Cichlid Gold(uh did I spell that right?)
and
Cichlid Compleat

I would immagin flake would be okay for some plants, but not all. I don't even use it for fish, lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Mar. 01 2003,11:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Update! Well, today all the traps are done digesting and open except for the large green dragon VFT's trap that is starting to rot because of the fish food pellet. The small green dragon VFT's trap that I fed the flake to is open, but fungus is starting to rot it since I didn't crumble the flake into powder before using it. Stupid me!!!
tounge.gif
The common VFT's trap that I fed the dried bloodworms to is open, but it's completely brown and dead. ***sigh*** But there's light in this hole of darkness, too! The purpurea that I fed the milk to is going into another growth spurt! Just a couple days ago, a cute lil' new pitcher popped up!
smile.gif
The new pitcher grew half an inch in three days!!! So, I'm convinced that the milk is a cause of this, as it was the first time I used milk with this plant last year. Anyways, a new field of experiments will start today. New chart:

Betta pellets: S. purpurea
Crumbled up fish food flakes: large green dragon VFT[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Doh! I wish I had seen this post sooner, I could have saved you a lot of VFT traps. I've done extensive work with fish food given to my plants and I know all the tricks to proper digesion.
1. In VFTs, you MUST stimulate the trap frequently (like every 15 minutes) untill it gets the super tight seal going good, otherwise it won't mater what you fed, the trap will rot.
2. Just like some insects hurt traps, so do some fish foods. Stay away from cheap foods with high fats and oils and stick with high protien expensive brands for expensive fish. Most fish food is so pathedic in nutrition, I'm amazed the fish don't rot and die from eating it lol. In my earlyer post I listed some good brands.
3. flake food is always bad, I don't care what is eating it, that stuff is nasty (high risk)

Bloodworms: These seem to digest okay(even without soaking) but the exoskeliton thingy consistently glues my traps leaves together so when it tries to open up, it gets wrinkly and you have to pop it appart

Pellot fish food: Remember to get carnivor pellots and know that pellots are solid little balls while crumbles are, well, crumbley. Pellots usually have less fat, so they are better. I've never had problems using them dry, but be sure you get it in the center of the VFT leaf and that it is small. For baby sundew, I crush a pellot and pick up the dust bit on a toothpick placeing one bit per plant on a large leaf. For the tropical piture plants, I just toss a few in.

The largest impact the pellots have had for me, is that the Nep promply grew 3 new leaves and started swelling a piture. It gets a couple every week right now and continues to put out new leaves
smile.gif

Darcie,
1. I do
2. I do

Thanx!

Update! Well, the large green dragon VFT's trap that I fed the fish food flakes to is ALREADY OPENING!!! WOWEE!!! Anyways, it looks good so far. The purpurea that I fed the betta pellet to is also doing well. I'll keep ya posted.

Update! HOLY CHRIST!!! As a result of the milk, the purpurea has sprouted three new pitchers in three new days!!! Number one is already an inch and a half tall and almost getting ready to open, number two in about 1/4 of an inch tall, and number three is about 1/16 of an inch tall! Number three grew about a millimeter within the hours of noon and five this afternoon!!!!!
wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif
Christ I could've watched that thing grow! It's definitely because of the milk, since it usually only sprouts about one new pitcher every two months! Also, it did the exact same thing in mid-summer last year!  

DANG that milk does wonders!

And in other news
tounge.gif
, the large green dragon's trap that I fed the crumbled flake to is completely open and doing wonderful! The same purpurea that did the New Pitchers Boogie is also having no visible problems with the betta pellets. Results chart for this field of experiments:

Crumbled fish food flakes(large green dragon): success
Betta pellets(purpurea): success
Milk(purpurea): success beyond the holy law of physics
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Thank you for choosing FlytrapGurl as your #1 source for news! Good night!
biggrin.gif

lol, cool! what type of milk was it?

...hmm I wonder if powderd milk would be good for sundew seedlings

...Do you think Purpura did so well because bacteria go nutty for milk? after all, thats the one piture plant that can't digest it's own food.

I used whole milk with vitamin D.

You may be right about the bacteria thing...

I was just thinking, to grow big pumpkins, you drill a hole in the main vine and poor milk directly in. I wonder what about milk makes it plant friendly?

Anyhow, I just gave my N. Ventricosa 3 drops milk so we will have to see how it compares with the beta bio gold it had been on (which yeilded 4 new leaves in 3 weeks)

*note to BigCarnivourKid - while "feet" and "feat" sound the same, they are not interchangeable
wink.gif

Yeah this is good information i was in searching for information and thinking to make a thread for this but i have no need to make any thread after read out this information anyways than ks for this and have a nice day ..........

Back