What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Camera Recommendations?

• Thread starter ritlane
  • Start date
Hello all,
  Well, I feel it might be time to get a New Digital Camera.  I have been looking around, and so far, like two small, easy to use, but powerful ones.  Since I will be doing a lot of plant photos with it, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any advice.
  I'm currently thinking about either the Nikkon CoolPix 2500 or Olympus D 520.  If anyone owns these, and can tell me what their advice is, or any other pointers, that would be appreciated.
  I would especially like a camera with good macro ability, so I can get those great close ups I see people posting.
  Advice on any other brands is also welcome.  I'm especially interested in Cameras that are:
Small
2+ megapixels
USB (Mac compatible)

---Lane

well,

I have seen the Nikon Coolpix 5000, which is a 5 Megapixel camera with interchangable lenses going for as low as 300 NIB on ebay, and other online retailers... for a price any where below 500 (the camera is worth 1,000 +) there is no other option, it's received incredible reviews... I am wanting one myself...

this is the camera we own.  it is a very good quality, light, yet very versital.  it has well check out this site for the specs... read threw.. very impressive. pm me if you want more macro examples.olympus

wanna see a macro picture that i took??  go here.  these are cape sundews just sprouted.  (make sure to look at the bottom for additional pictures.)  a post i made here at pft.
let us know which one you decide to go with.  make sure to watch out on the internet for "gray market" products.  products that look exactly the same with same names but are illegal replica's.  therefore no warranty and the quallity is not what you want either.  we payed 699.99 at circuit city.
lates,
andrew

I suggest e-bay if you want to save money.  They come with a warranty and everything. The nice thing is you do not need a credit card if you do not own one.

travis

ritlane,

I recently bought a FinePix 2800zoom. It's a 2.0 MPixal with 6x optical zoom. It's got a macro mode that allows me to get within about 3.9"/10cm out to 2.6'/80cm. With the flash I can't get closer than 11.8"/30cm.

It comes with a 16MB Smartmedia card (~25 photos at the 1280x960 Fine setting), 4 "AA" batteries, a USB cable, and software to view and transfer my pics to the PC. It is Mac compatible.

You can also use it to take short (1 minute) videos, 4 shots as short as .5 seconds apart, or as a web cam.

It takes good pictures in daylight but doesn't do very well in very low light/night time settings especially of things more than 6 or 7 feet away.

Macro mode photos are nice and sharp though in low light with bright back light the auto focus can be a real bear.

It can go through alkaline batteries pretty quick so a set or two of NiMH and a battery charger are definitely recommended.

It is easy to use and I don't take many pictures at night, so I like it in spite of that drawback. I also got a 128 MB Smartmedia card with mine and can store up to 204 photos on it at the 1280x960 Fine setting. You can view and delete photos on the 1.8" LCD monitor.

its about 4-5 inches long and 1.5 inch wide. can hold a LOT of pics if u get a memory stick of about 32mb or higher. picture quality if very good too

The Sonys have amazing macro capabilities. But I hate that they use the memory stick
mad.gif

i have a sony digital 8 camcorder that has still image picture taking capabilities. i agree. the memery stick does suck. that is why i bought the digital camera listed above. much better. every time i mention it to someone (and they know what to look for in a camera) they ask why something of such quality was needed. i tell them simply. if i buy something less that satisfactory now. i will be mad tommorow. so i have learned to buy the best now. hehe
lates,
andrew

I won a Sony DSC-P50 last year. I do have big trouble taking plant macro photos with it. My camera does not focus well on green and red parts of plants, so I do have to take about 10-20 pics before one is halfways OK (pictures can be seen on my webpage). Also the light sensitivity of the CCD seems to be quite low comparing my photos with the photos Arie takes with his Nikon.

What really did upset me in the first place was that the camera was only able to take three photos with flash before the originally supplied batterys were so low, that it didn't turn on any more! I first thought this was a joke when reading it on the net. The camera seems to be build for their Lithium-Ionen-cells which are very expensive and you do have to get the original Sony charger which is even more expensive....

Joachim

At the $300 range I would get Olympus 520 or Sony P51. I have a Sony DSC-S75 and I love it. I have two friends that bought Sony's right after I got mine and they haven't told me any complaints. I would go to a store like where you can try the cameras out to help yourself choose. Heres a few good review sites.
www.steves-digicams.com
www.imaging-resource.com

have to ring in again...

if you can still find one on the net for around 300 dollars, there is no beating the Nikon Coolpix 5000, it is the closest thing to a true camera you can buy without going pro. It is hands down, the best digital camera on the market right now, and there is a strange glut of them on the net going for far less than they should... why spend 300 dollars on a camera worth 3oo dollars when you can spend 3 to 500 (depending on if you can find it that cheap) on a camera worth 1500 dollars?

there is one going for 1100 right now on Ebay, with all 15 (I think) interchangable lenses, if that is to steep, a place called alien camera (I think) carries the CP 5000 itself with standard lense for 300 or so.

I am a Nikon fan.  I have a coolpix 990.  Easy to use automatic but has a full range of manual for those that want to fiddle with all the settings.  Incredible macro capability!  will focus down to 1" from the subject plus has nice zoom for distance shots.   4 aa batteries (nickel metal hydride work great) plus compact flash memory.  

Here is a pic of D. pulchella orange.  Actual flower size about 1/4".  This was taken in automatic mode with no tripod in a breezy greenhouse hehe.
Tony
Dros_pulchella_oranCR.jpg

I have a Canon ZR50 digital camcorder/camera that I love. I don't have the ability to post any pics I have taken with it yet but I have been able to get some nice macro shots with it. Maybe not as crystal clear as Tony's but still very impressive IMHO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Aug. 19 2002,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">have to ring in again...

if you can still find one on the net for around 300 dollars, there is no beating the Nikon Coolpix 5000, it is the closest thing to a true camera you can buy without going pro.  It is hands down, the best digital camera on the market right now, and there is a strange glut of them on the net going for far less than they should... why spend 300 dollars on a camera worth 3oo dollars when you can spend 3 to 500 (depending on if you can find it that cheap) on a camera worth 1500 dollars?

there is one going for 1100 right now on Ebay, with all 15 (I think) interchangable lenses, if that is to steep, a place called alien camera (I think) carries the CP 5000 itself with standard lense for 300 or so.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think Nikons are the best cameras under $1000 on the market. Once you get into the higher end digital cameras Canon seems to be my choice. In my dreams of course...

You'll be hard pressed to find a Nikon Coolpix 5000 for $500 much less $300. Maybe a used one.

If you do find one for under $500 make sure it's not a gray market camera and read reviews on the seller.

well, unfortuantly i don't have any 1/4 inch flowers to picture.  but i do have a 3/8 inch flower of a "hearts and flowers" plant.   so here you go take a look.  again many features (see previous post by me) and all arround great camera.  also takes 4 AA so it is easy to have extras.  the quality of each picture can be adjusted to fit what you want.  low quality i can fit approx 1800 pics on a 128 mb card.  high quality approx 30. (no flash, outside 15 mph gusts)  

12233407-70ff-01F80200-.jpg

lates,
andrew

actually, the coolpix 5000 was going for 350 just a few months ago... I wish I had had the money then...
sad.gif
the price has jumped up considerably... most are now in the 6 to 700 dollar range.

I did do research on the sellers, they all had great feedback, and it was just to wide spread to be a fluke with grey market, industry wide prices were between 350 and 500.

one went on Ebay the other night with ALL the lenses and accessories for 1000 dollars, now, considering all the lenses alone are probably worth that... sheeshh...

but I assure you, the cameras were brand new, in box, and not grey market. the best price I had found was a place called Alien Photo.

Well, Since the camera bug entered my system and I contracted new camera fever I have taken the plunge and purchased a new Nikon Coolpix 4500. Focuses down less than an inch... I like that. So anyway, I'm getting rid of my Coolpix 800 and wanted to make it available to forum members prior to putting it on the open market. Anyone interested please PM me.
wink.gif

Can't wait to get my new camera. I'll be taking a lot of pictures cause I can't afford to eat.

I am in the market for a new camera myself and my research has landed me on the Nikon 5000.

I currently have an Olympus D400Z which is a good camera but I have found the drawbacks to be lack of macro ability (no closer than 8") and also difficulty focusing on single isolated subjects and also in low light conditions. Which is why I now want a better camera.

The Nikons have a good rep for macro photography.

I have only see the Nikon 5000 at its lowest...around $600. I believe the retail value is $1,200.

Suzanne

Back