What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cute hummingbirds

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Momma hummingbird decided to build a nest in our guava tree. I took a pic of them every weekend. These pics span 3 weeks. The poor babies sufferred through terrible rains and high winds, but survived.
biggrin.gif

the_hummies.jpg

beautiful little birdies.

Very nice. Was this last year? If so, did they return?

The last picture was taken about 2 weeks ago.

That's really neat Larry. Which species of hummingbird are they? I was hoping that I'd have a pair nest in my yard last year. I suspect that there are too many cats around for them to feel save enough to build a nest nearby though.

Hummingbirds are such incredible animals.

Those are incredible pictures!! I really enjoyed them.

Wow Larry! They are beautiful! I love hummingbirds. They are SO bold! They will buzz all around your head like little bees if you stand near a feeder. I have never seen any around my house unfortunately. I will try again this year to attract them to my feeder.

Lovely pics!

Suzanne

BCK,
I don't know what species they are. I've looked at many pics on many sites, but can't figure out which it is.

These guys are cool, not afraid of humans at all. I walk past them all the time and momma hummingbird won't get scared and fly away. She built her nest about 3 ft. off the ground, made it really easy for me to snap some shots
biggrin.gif

Good thing the neighborhood cats didn't find them!

Nice photos Larry.

Assuming the bird sat on the nest in the second picture is an adult female, I would say that the species is almost certainly Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri. The females of none of the other species that breed in S. California show that distinct,  eyestripe - earpatch pattern. It would have been nice to get a good look at the tail-shape and of course Dad, who's throat pattern is the best ID feature.

As an English bird-nut, I'm basing my ID on field guides, rather than experience, and am prepared to be proved wrong.

Vic

Incredible, breathtaking!
biggrin.gif
 (standing ovation) I would say they are emerald-headed humminbirds which may be the same thing as black-chinned, but we get them around 3-5 months a year at my lakehouse in Texas!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif
 GOOD LUCK! I love to watch and feed, last season I saw some nesting behavior in our Huge live oak where the hummer feeder is, but the branches are mainly 10+ feet up so, I'm just assuming...
tounge.gif

confused.gif

wink.gif

You should be a photographer! Very nice!
biggrin.gif

Ooo...so sweet...
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing...the last time I saw a humming bird was when I was teaching in the class and it flew near the window...looking like it's searching for a nest...

WOWEE Larry! Right now I think I'm suffering from ''OH THAT'S SO CUTE!!!''

LOL wonderful pictures!

So what does daddy look like or is he to fast for a photo? They sure grew up fast, we have some ruby-throats that nest every year in the big red maple behind the house. They are so silly. The male will come around to the computer room and tap on the glass if something is wrong with the feeder. One of the babies last year would buzz you outside if it ran empty, lol.

Vic, I was at the bookstore the other day, flipped through a hummingbird book and saw a pic of Calypte costae. That looks kind of like what I photographed. I don't know for sure, I'm more inclined to go with your opinion since you know more about birds than I do. Guess I'll need to do more research!

I've never seen the male, only momma and the babies.

Back