What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand

I bought a bag of sand which I used to make my soil mix for planting both my Drosera seed and Gemma. However I did not realize at the time sand can contain minerals and lime? I was reading a thread that said we should use Silica sand.

How can I tell if the sand I had used is safe? It was sold at a local supermarket in the house plant section and the package states "Sand for soil conditioning" .

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nope, that sand should be ok to use.
smile.gif
but give it a small rinsing to get the dust out before you use it
smile.gif

Take a sample of sand and put vinegar on it. If it fizzes it probably contains lime and should not be used. I've tried this and I believe it works ok.

I put a couple spoon full in a cup and poured vinegar into it , the vinegar did bubble up a little.

Now seeing as I have already used this sand for my Drosera seeds and gemmae should I wait until they sprout and then transplant?

hmmm...I used some sand about 6 months ago that was labeled exactly like yours and it didn't seem to hurt my plants....try rinsing it and then do the lime test...I'm sorry I said the sand was ok...
sad.gif
(I'm still pretty sure it won't hurt your plants
smile.gif
)
I would wait till they sprout to transplant them, you'd never find the seeds

Back