What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Database for cp's

I am interested to know what other growers use to catalogue their carnivorous plants. Currently I am using an excel spreadsheet, but I would like to use something that is tailor made for plants - that would include all information for particular clones and include photographs. Are there commercial programs available?

Kind regards from NZ
Quinn

I do not know of a commercially available plant database geared towards cps. I have setup a basic database in Appleworks for cps. However, the database is still a work in progress.

CPDatabaseImage.jpg

That is a great idea!! Perhaps someone can make up a PC friendly template and share the file here.

I use Microsoft word. It's just a list of plants nothing at all fancy. If somebody could make something like what Nick has for pc I would be willing to pay for it. That would be very useful, and it would be alot easier to keep track of your plants. If somebody does creates this for pc please contact me.

I'd also pay. I like Nick's idea, but I think either the plant in the corner should be a thumbnail clickable, or the photo should be on the bottom so it can be bigger.

Howdy.

I've been considering setting up something similar to this format online as a side piece to the trading post. where you could maintain your growlist, upload photos, etc. It would maintain your collection, setup a photogallery and could be used to show what you have for trade and what you want. If there is interest I will go ahead and work on it.

cheers

I think that could really help people who don't have their own site, but for me, I'd like a template file where I could have something like that on my own site. Also, I think it would be nice for us to start linking our sites to each others to help with rankings, etc..

I've tried to do something in Dreamweaver, but my skills are too limited. If any of you could point me to a site where I could download a file template, I'd be grateful.

What's Dreamweaver?

Dreamweaver is web design and production software produced by Macromedia.

-BobZ-

I am using Appleworks 6 to create my database of plants. You can use Microsoft Works, File Maker Pro Server, or Microsoft Access to do the same thing. Access and File Maker Pro Server are much more powerfull than Appleworks or Microsoft Works. MySQL can also be used to create a database, but requires a bit more knowledge about databases to use.

Access, Filemaker Pro Server, and MySQL will allow web based databases if programmed to do so. However, you need a dedicated server to run these. Apple works and Microsoft Works do not allow web access.

Oh, and if you are really good, you can use Java or Javascript. Java would be easier for maintaining a large database, Javascript might be a bit more complicated for larger lists.

A suggestion for the database, I posted above, was to make the images larger. Well, here is a revised copy.

CPDatabase.jpg

If someone wants to attempt to try a template of the above, click here to download a copy. This is in Appleworks 5 format. Newer versions of Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office should open this.
Hope that helps
confused.gif

Thanks, I'll give it a try in Works, I guess.

Thanks for the effort, Nick. I really like the style, and I'm sure my wife can get something like that done in Works. It looks like your server doesn't want you to send it out.

You know... that kinda stinks that it will not let me post files for download. I pay for that space and server usage. Oh well, guess thats what happens when people abuse things
sad.gif

Hey, save the link as a file. It will let you download the link. I guess that would be a right click, save as, or something like that on windows.

Back