What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tasting cp nectar

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I know this will sound strange but here goes.
I keep seeing Nectar drip off my N.bical and I was wondering what it taste like. Has anybody else thought about this or better yet has anybody satisfied their curiosity? If so what did it taste like?

I guess you can say I had to much time on my hands while I've been taking care of my wife after her surgery.

Hmm, shall we have a cp nectar taste test?
smile.gif

That sounds interesting.
By the way N.bical nectar is sweet and it's thick like syrup.
rolleyes.gif
Try that on your pancakes.

I tasted nectar from my N. Truncata. It was pretty sweet.

Ask Tony this one....

How's the stenophylla's taste?
biggrin.gif

I admit truncata is sweet but bical is like honey! Dews taste like phlem.
tounge.gif

Hmmmm...sounds like CARBS to me.
rolleyes.gif

I think I'll stick to honeysuckle.
confused.gif

Dustin is always running around my greenhouse licking the plants !

Must be the sugar high hehe

T

i've tasted a few cp necatsr , but make sure that bugs never topuch them or you'll get a crunchy mucky flavor with the nectar
wink.gif
, i've tasted venus flytraps , theres no taste in there nectar , sarracenia , i've tried minor because it produces lots of necatr on the ala and alos my leucophylla , very sweet , sugery , i'll agree with nep g , sundews taste like phlem same thing with butterworts too , i tried to see what the nectar on the neps peristome taste like but the taste is very week , its like half sugar water and half sundew phlem , but thats probably becaus ei only have small neps .
tounge.gif

The tiny nectar drops running along the length of pitchers are sweet, and kinda make your tongue numb a bit
tounge.gif

There's this super thick droplet of nectar that hangs from that weird nub thing on N. maxima lids, that thing is sweet and candylike
biggrin.gif

Drosera dew has no taste, not slimey either. I have yet to lick a ping since there's always dead insects on the leaves
wink.gif

Most Drosera are bland but D. multifida has a characteristic acid tang.

Pings (or at least the Mexi-Pings I have licked) are also rather bland. The flowers on potosiensis are yummy though

Neps ventricosa and khasiana are sweet with a hint of tartness.

Sarrs are also pretty sweet but oreophila has a bit of muskiness to it.

Just don't eat too much of S. flava's nectar because it might cause you to fail a drug test!!
biggrin.gif

-buckeye

maxima is quite the nectar guy in my gh. Larry yup, the best nectar is under that boss under the operculum. Rajah is a bit sweet too from it's leaves.

Wow, I can tell from everyones' typing just how much nectar they've been drinking....
wow.gif
wink.gif

hm......fresh nectar might be good, but I think I'll stick with pure honey and pancake syrup.
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The tiny nectar drops running along the length of pitchers are sweet, and kinda make your tongue numb a bit[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Probably due to whatever anaesthetics/nerve poisons are present. There is the alkaloid coniine (as in hemlock) in S. flava - here is a link to its OED definition

Coniine

Anyone know how much nectar constitutes a lethal dose (and how about some volunteers to find out)?

Giles

I knew some people were not buying cp's for thier bug problem but for the nectar cps produce.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow, I can tell from everyones' typing just how much nectar they've been drinking.... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LOL
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Got CP's,
Travis

I'll volunteer to see how much the lethal dose is =D. Here i Go!!
tounge.gif

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I had no idea there were so many butterflies out there willing to have their tongues digested in the name of simple curiosity. Well have at it, all! The closest I have come is trying orchid nectar, sweet but with a firey aftertaste.

Hmmm, I believe I will sit this one out. There may be that question in court about intoxicating/inhibiting agents
tounge.gif

"Well, there was that nectar of truncata I had once".

They'll decide I am not a druggie, just crazy
wink.gif

S.flava 'cutthroat's necter is very good. Haven`t tried nep nectar yet though.

Back