What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP and Hydroponics?

Hey everyone. Has anyone tried growing CPs via hydroponics? I went to a small local nursery about a week ago, and talked to the guy who owns the place about potentially raising CPs this way... He knew about the very delicate growth conditions for CPs, so here's what little I know about hydoponics:

The squares of medium that the plants are grown in are very low in nutrients... which (as far as I know) is rather typical of these plants... hence the necessity of carnivory.

The place also sells drops to lower the pH of the growth medium.

So check it out... we have a constantly wet/damp environment, high humidity, low mineral concentration, and (possibly) low pH. Does anyone think this could work?

Thanks,

Coop

The consensus here is that artificial media would (does) work, if you used "peat tea" instead of plain water. My own feeling is that PH is all that really matters, and that a straight no-peat setup would work, especially if you started from a cutting rather than a whole plant. I expect some very, very minimal ferilization or vit. B may be necessary in that case.

Larry might chime in here with more expert opinion.

--Steve

Coop,

First, welcome to the forums
smile.gif

About hydroponics. I think this idea has been brought up a few times here but I don't think anyone has actually gone out and tried it. The description you give along with past ones sounds to me like it would work. If you are feeling adventurous and have the time I say give it a try on one of the more robust plants like D. capensis and then report your results. We all love to learn.

Cool, thanks for the input guys...

We'll see. I start college in the fall, so maybe I'll have time to set up some experiments this summer.
wink.gif

Coop

Back