What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nest of yellow jackets

• Thread starter Travis
  • Start date
Their are a lot of old sorta effective but not really meathoids out their, but I like my teachers, he set the mower over the hole and they all come out to attack it so you just leave it running for a while.  It's sick, but it works.

Edit:  Okay, I'm sorry, but I have to fix some stuff, it's driving me nuts.

#1.  NOT yellowjackets, GROUND BEES or GROUND HORNETS.  Please use proper animal names, the methoid of dealing with the animals varries, Yellow Jackets make their homes in holes in stuff, shelterd areas, hollow logs, pipes etc.  Most have very small nest with just a few females working together, the ones known for major damedge are the type that often move into piping and have much much larger collenies.

#2.  You can NOT kill a ground bee nest with surfice treatment.  Their tunnles are incredibly deap and even trying to flood them out with water is nere imposible because of all the saftey tunnles they have.

#3.  They are extreamly aggressive and should be approched with caustion, yellow jackets pail in comparison to the ground bee agretion.

#4.  Seriously, the lawn mower thing works well because eventually everyone but the queen comes out and she can't survive alone.

#5.  Be carfull, they have a back door somewere

Darcie,

I hate to argue with you but Yellowjackets do burrow and they can built big nests. I have witnessed this on numerous occasions. I have no doubt that Travis knows what insect it is.

Darcie:
If you look on web pages (they even have picture of yellow jackets) and on spray bottles yellow jackets do borrow under ground. They also feed on meat which is proven as I had a steak yesterday and the darn yellow jackets were trying to eat the steak. Anywho...

I have checked the hole and did not see any Yellow Jackets coming out. Although, I only checked for about 30 seconds or so but yesterday at this time they where coming and leaving the nest. I will do a check again around 5 or so. Then spray the living day lights out of the nest/hole tonight.
biggrin.gif
 I do not feel confident enough to go over and yell at them saying "YOU LOST!!!" that will come later
wink.gif

Travis

PS
I am still pumped from last spraying the nest...What a rush!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know what schloaty means as you get a shot of adrenaline *Wooooo*!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
and
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am still pumped from last spraying the nest...What a rush!!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I TOLD you! Just don't go chasing after lion and tiger and bears (oh my) now! LOL!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Darcie,
I'm with these guys, sorry. I used to be a junior entomologist (before I discovered girls
wink.gif
). I had a nest in the ground for several years. I just told my family to stear clear, since they weren't close enough to the house to bother anyone. But they do burrow. There was a pre-existing hole, but there was also always a pile of dirt around the entrance where the workers dumped their payloads. They were definately yellowjackets.
In your defense, I have also seen them nest in logs and other hidey-holes. However, they can number in the hundreds, not just a few individuals.

DSC00001.JPG
Here is something that I created for tonight. It is not Diet Crystal Pepsi but poison that I bought yesterday (Ortho and Spectracide) in a 2 liter (sorry to disapoint you Crystal Pepsi fans
tounge.gif
). I figure since I am bad shot with the spray I needed help getting poison into the nest. So I believe that should solve the problem. The container on top is so it will not get knocked down (as I tested it before hand).  All I do is put the nozzle of the 2-liter in the hole/nest and let the poison do the work.  For the napkins they are partially wet with poison *hehehehe*. It is going down tonight. So what are your thoughts? Bad idea? Good idea? What the heck are thinking?? hehehe

While I do have the digital *lets get digital digital* camera I will take a few pictures of my plants!
smile.gif

Travis

Good idea, TravTheBeeKiller;-]! lol...

Phew! I'm glad you didn't go with the matches / gasoline combination. First, gasoline IS enough to kill the entire nest (without matches). And many people have mentioned the terrible side effects. One other thing to note, my grandpa used to do this to ant nests in his yard, and the spot where he poured the gasoline did not grow back any grass even after about 10 years. :-/.

That's a lot of insecticide! Be carefull not to poison yourself!
alien.gif

Here's a couple other solutions, in case that doesn't work:

1. Borrow a flamethrower
biggrin.gif

2. Putting a cleaf glass bowl over the entrance is supposed to work quite well. The wasps never figure out why they can't fly out anymore and they don't think to dig (supposedly). This is the most environmentally friendly way of doing it.

Well no sign of life as of today.  I stood right next to the nest for about 45 seconds - Thought bunch of lossers!.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Borrow a flamethrower
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>noah
HA! That would be funny
biggrin.gif

trashcan
Ya that was a popular idea but the thought of having a fire is not my way of taking care of a nest (my neighbors and my dad suggested that too).  On thee other hand I am sure Pryo would love to see that! hehehe

Thanks For the help. This is my first time killing a bee's nest!
smile.gif
I will post a picture later on today.

Bees 1 Travis 2
TravTheBeeKiller

Hey,
BTW, yellow jackets usually have an escape route via another tunnel. I was 12 and lived with a bunch of red neck neighbors, well, we found an undeground nest and gathered everythin we could find to kill from WD-40 to hairspray. Well, we did a total massacre to the entrance, but we all turned around and ran to the bushes about 40 feet away from the hole in the middle of the lawn. Bad idea. Thats where they had their escape tunnel. I think the person out of all 9 (i think) of us with the least amount of stings was the quickest....with 10 or so. I had 19, mostly my legs and arms, but somehow one got into my shirt.....
mad.gif
. So anywho...be on the lookout for escape tunnels and such. Hope it helps,
Kevin

sarracenialuver
Great! You are right!!! I have another nest next to my house. Seems like they are going have to die too.
mad.gif
I am not sure if it is the same nest because this nest is about 70 feet from thee other nest, that is just a guess on the distance. That also stinks you got stung that many times *ouch*. I would be absolutely ticked like I am feeling right now! Grrrrrrr!!

As one kid said as I was floating down the Muskegon River "I will never be done!"
DSC00003.JPG

Travis

hey,
I have been so many times i have no count, my guess would be around 90. My old house had a field with a huge nest in a old horse barn, well, this basketball sized nest was tempting, so me and my 2 friends shot bottle rockets at it. Ouch......about 5 stings. When i was little i stepped in a mud wasp nest by a tree, tally on around 3. My friends house had a huge nest way high up in a tree, tennis ball off of bat + impact with nest = nest falling 2 feet from me, and so many stings, my guess would be 10. They had to cover me up in meat tenderizer. The dog had a hungry look on him the whole time. Lol, thats just a few...It looks like what you have should work, just be carefull of the others.
Kevin

My first time getting stunk was in 6th grade my whole hand swelled right up. Painfull! I can not imagine getting stung 10 or more times
wow.gif
. I would have to put bee's on #1 most hated insects if I got stung 10 or more times. Right now, ants are the #1 hated insect in my book.

This nest was close to my house in which I went out bought 3 bottles of wasp spray (shoots out 25 feet). Made a little slit in the screen and sprayed all three cans at the nest - right in the hole.
biggrin.gif
 If I see any other nest they are going down too.
smile.gif

This is my last picture of bee's nest - I will take some of my cps now.
DSC00005.JPG

Thanks Kevin aka sarracenialuver!

Travis

Back