What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

building a terrarium start to finish

hi all!
I know there are many of you very knowlageable folk with terrariums, so I would like you to give me recommendations please, on lighting, humidity, plants, type of terrarium, EVERYTHING! Like, what sizes hold how many, what equipment. No, I'm not a beginner, just at CP terrariums, but everything else about CP's I'm good at. (I think
wink.gif
)
All suggestions big or small are welcome! Thanks a million!
                                Thanks,
JM

dont ya think u wana tell them wich types ur tryin to grow or some limitations, hehe it would really help im sure
tounge.gif

How many and what of plants do you intend to grow? If you say nepenthes, tell me highland, or lowland. How much money are you willing to spend? What kinda space can you offer? After this I can give you some recommendations on building one.

ok, you're right. But pretty much I don't want to spend more than $150. really the only thing I know I want are VFT's baby!
biggrin.gif

if I do nep.'s, lowland, but more likely: drosera (all winter or non-dormant), VFT's, probably nep. gracillis, and a slim chance of butterworts and sarr.'s

I think one of those little fogger things that emit white fog would be cool for looks
smile.gif

anyone?
sad.gif
I'm not being obnoxious, but after you asked me to tell you something, I did and you never came back...

Do you want pots in the terrarium or do you want them planted in the terrarium?

like I said, you be the designer, but easy maintnence is nice.

Ok then I'd go with pots inside the terrarium.(with their own water trays) That way you can move the plants up and to make sure they're close enough to the grow lights. Another benefit is if mold breaks out it easey to clean. Plus there's just a lot less work in construcing it.(and it's cheaper)

how can I also utilize good looks and an ultrasonic fogger?

kevin, you might want to look at this discussion to get ideas, I think giving them a few more ideas might help...

I think I'll probably do a 15-20 gal. is that big enough for a moderate collection? And sorry for so many posts, I keep forgetting I can edit
tounge.gif

ok, should we just forget this topic? I could edit it all to something totally different

An ultrasonic fogger is unneccesary and $30+. Thats about all the advice I can give you.

ok, but take Rampuppy's terrarium for instance(in user submitted gallery) It's everything you could look for. It has the awesome effect of an ultrasonic fogger. I think especially if someone had one they didn't want or need, then it shouldn't be $30

oh yeah, Rampuppy, I love your terrarium!

ok, I don't have to have an ultrasonic fogger, it would just be neat...
confused.gif

I read somewhere that you always double the size of the terrarium that you think you'll need. Believe me I am glad I didnt go with anything less than 75 gallons. If you have a terrariumthat is 15 to 20 gallons then you dont need and probably dont want an ultrasonic humidifier considering the space it takes up. For a 15 to 20 gallon tank one two foot shoplight should be good. I would suggest a cool light and a growlight. As for Nepenthes you need to get a bigger terrarium if you plan to grow any species. Like N. Gracilis is a small plant and can be hacked back, but it grows like a weed. I neglected to cut mine back and now I have two 5ft vines going from one end of my terrarium to the other! i do plant to make like fifty cuttings and sell them at the next St. Louis carnivorous society meeting.

Back