What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God Bless America

Couple thoughts of mine... I spent yesterday on the 35th floor of an office buliding doing a contract job, I didn't know anyone, and I am essentially a cripple right now after an unfortunate basketball mishap (My foot and ankle decided not to stop my body when I hit the ground, just kind of physically moved out of the way for probably the most painful injury i have had in years&#33
wink.gif
any how, sitting there doing computer upgrades in a glass conference room looking out over San Antonio I got to thinking how hard it would be for me to get out if someone hit this building... it was a tad bit un-nerving.

Also, I would like to point out that the heroes are not just paramedics and fire fighters, doctors and police officers, but they are the men and women of our armed forces that are making the world safe for us to walk around. Don't think we have not sustained another terrorist attack because those that hate us have no resolve, it is because of the tireless efforts of men and women in the FBI, CIA, and Armed forces who go out and eliminate the threat.

Finally, don't mistake fear for resolve, and don't forget this day because it hurts. Our forefather remembered Pearl Harbor, before them there were other brave men and women at places like the Alamo, and even Gettysburg, where people stood for what they believed in. Rememberance and Resolve are not Hate or fear. By al means we most move on with our lives, but 'putting this behind us' is not the right attitude, while it may not be the happiest thought in world, everyone needs to remember that some one out there does not like you, may even hate you because of your religion, the color of your skin, or the fact you were born in a country and provided more opportunity than them.

Finally, (Yes, I know I am long winded&#33
wink.gif
Thank you to all our friends and neighbors both north, south and 'across the pond' and so forth... especially those of you in NATO countries... isn't it funny how an alliance formed for us to Help YOUR countries in a time of need, ended up later with your planes flying combat air patrol over our country, protecting US in our hour of need.

Thanks to all the Heroes, big and small, and everything in between.

I have to add too that words can't express how much I and all Americans appreciate the worldwide recognition of yesterday's black anniversary. I saw film clips from various other countries showing their commemorations of the day and it was deeply touching and made me cry. It really was meaningful. Its a comfort to know that the pain and staggering horror of such an attack on innocent people isn't just an American grief but was felt worldwide and was recognized as being an event of monumental, senseless cruelty.

We can rebuild the buildings but we can't bring back the thousands of people who lost their lives. How many of us can even begin to know what it was like for the passengers on the plane in PA to know they were sending themselves to certain death but who did so in order to spare the lives of others...to call your loved ones on a phone and say goodbye...

I stayed home and watched the ceremonies...it was so so sad. I cried most of the day.

Yes, we must move forward but always that day should be remembered. Not just for the black tradgedy it was but also for the thousands of acts of heroism, kindness, generosity and caring of individuals, nations and organizations that blossomed from this ugly thing. There are thousands of stories of strangers helping strangers. The color of someone's skin or their religion didn't matter...it was just human beings doing the best they could in a tragic situation trying to help fellow human beings in need. And that 's how it should be.

There are more good people in the world than evil. Hatred and intolerance earns nothing but scorn.

Suzanne
sad.gif

Back