What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquarium heater

Ok, someone sugested that I get a small aquarium heater to heat my 10 gal terrarium. Well, I did, and put it in a glass of water (covering the heater to the fill line only) and well, it only raised my temps by about 2 degrees or so.

Now, I have a much larger aquarium heater, but I can't find the room to lay it down flat, and can't find a glass jar big enough to fit it in.

Any ideas? Something I am doing wrong?

(BTW: the small heater is a small $7 cheap job from Wally World)

Thanks

Casper

The aquarium heater should have a thermostat to set the desired temperature. That is if the $7 wally world model has a 'stat.

If so, it will be on the end the cable comes out, it is a small knob. As you twist the it around (while unplugged), you should hear a 'click' as the thermostat turns on or off. There should also be temperature measurements around the knob. If not, setting the temp is easy.

Disclaimer : Playing with water and electricity can be fatal. If any kids are considering doing this, or something similar, get a suitable adult to do it. Even though the heater's designed to work with water, be careful. Wet hands and plugs are a bad mix. (Sorry to be patronising, but I thought some warning was appropriate as in case a kid got a shock.)

Turn the thermostat knob fully clockwise. Submerse the heater with a thermometer to check the water temp. Plug in and turn on the heater, there's usually a light on to show its working.

When the water reaches the desired temp, TURN OFF and unplug the heater. Then (while the heater is still submerged) slowly turn the knob counter-clockwise until the heater clicks.

Dry your hands well, plug in and turn on the heater. The light should now be off, and the 'stat set to maintain the current water temp.

That is if it has one.

Jacko

I have various sizes for various tanks. There is a fairly powerful aqua heater in my lowland. It is submerged properly in a quart canning jar. It raises my tank temps into the seventies at night. I do have to turn it all the way to get it to heat enough and fill the water everyday.

Copper, what size is the largest tank you have with what wattage heater? I am working on a grow structure, and I am experimenting with heating ideas.

It is approximately a 40 Gal. terrarium. I'll check the wattage and get back to you.

Back