What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trouble with living sheet moss

I've read (in more than one place) that sheet moss "spells death" for CPs. Why is this stated? I have a pot of Cephalotus which has a magnificent lawn of rapidly growing sheet moss. I have allowed this to trapse into the other highland plants and it looks great growing along with the various forms of living sphagnum. This moss needs pruning espcially around the Cephalotus rosette but I just pull it out 1 cm around the Ceph and Neps and I still get the nice looks of the green moss meadow.

Is the warning so commonly given simply for the more diminutive/delicate plants such as pygmy dosera and such? So far I have seen no ill effects and I love the looks of it.

Josh, i have some moss that i found growing around here and some i brought back from the mountains.thay grows like sheet moss. i have some Sarr. germinating in it andthey had no ill affect at all. i haven't tried any dews in the moss yet. matter fact i do have one pygmy growing in the stuff. i haven't read anything at all like that.

Savage Garden says it somewhere not to use sheet moss but perhaps they mean sheet moss is bad in regards to using it as actual potting medium instead of LFS or sphagnum peat. Because as a top dressing I can't see how it would hurt anything, especially for large things like Neps and Cephalotus.

I too have a tiny sundew growing in the "sheet moss" in my Nepenthes hamata pot.
hitchsundew.jpg

it doesn't look like the tiny D. intermedias or D. roundtafolia that I have, perhaps a tiny D. spatulata...
I will be able to get an even better shot when I recieve my Macro lens for my camera.

I've never been able to keep moss alive that I found outside but the clump that fell off the mounted Cirrhopetallum/Bulbophyllum orchid and into the Cephalotus pot has spread through the terrarium like wildfire, especially in the Ceph pot it does real well probably due to the peaty soil and fact that the ceph pot gets watered every day by condensation from the A/C & humidifier output dripping water on it a few drops per day.

Back