What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daphina

• Thread starter Colieo
  • Start date

Colieo

Staff member
Hello,
Can anyone provide me with a source for daphina? I know some raise them for thier fish, and also utrics (Mine will be used for utrics
smile.gif
)

Thanks in advance,
Cole

Isn't it daphnia? Sorry, don't know a source.
confused.gif

Suzanne

Try your local pond. Take a scoop and check it out and you will probably find some swimming around. Of course you will get other critters as well. I just add this water to my utric water to seed it. Not too much or you may throw off the chemistry of the tank you are growing your Utrics in. One problem I've encountered is algae from the pond water so I also add a few pond snails.

If anyone thinks I'm nuts or has a better way to feed aquatic Utrics please let us know.
wink.gif

Yes, any fertile pond should have a bunch. If you make a net using cheesecloth, or something similar, you should be able to scoop them out by the thousands. If you've got the $$ to burn, you can buy a plankton net from many various scientific supply companies.

Hi Cole,

I raise Daphnia magna for my fish. I don't know how well it would ship though. I'm in Texas. Carolina Biological Supply sells daphnia and a place in Mississippi <www.lfscultures.com> sells daphnia, rotifers and even cyclops. If you decide to get it I can tell you how I grow mine.

Bobby

I was thinking about the lake water, but I just wasnt sure about the quality of the water around here. I may try to order some. Thanks for the ideas!
P.S biggun, I will come to you for questions if and when I get them!

Cole

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ July 23 2003,1:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't it daphnia?  Sorry, don't know a source.
confused.gif

Suzanne[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Most science stores call it daphina
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you've got the $$ to burn, you can buy a plankton net from many various scientific supply companies.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The cheap way is to get a jar or bucket full of pond water and filter it through a drip-type coffee filter (not attached to the coffee maker). The downside is that it is somewhat time consuming but it works.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Hi,

The main trouble with collecting your own daphnia is all the other little beasties you may get in the process. Just be sure you know what daphnia you are looking for -- there are many many different species. My local species is a very small species and one that is impossible to culture as it has enormous blooms and busts in its life cycle. Daphnia pulex is a nice small species too but is for cooler water than I have and has erratic population cycles too. I like D. magna because its bloom/bust cycle can be sort of balanced and it gets good size so it feeds alot of different fish plus the babies can feed the plants.

Bobby

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ July 23 2003,10:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't it daphnia?  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, Daphnia is the genus name. And yes many pet/hobby stores do use incorrect names for the things they sell. I just can't stand it when they try to correct customers that are using the appropriate terminology. I heard one salesman vehemently tell a patron that fruit flies are actually called Dorosiphila, not Drosophila (as she was correctly using).

best way to collect daphnia is to make your own net. i made mine out of panty-hose, a wire frame, and string
rolleyes.gif

Back